The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 8, 2000, 08:57 AM   #1
Halffast

Which is the prefered method for competition?

David

------------------
"There are people who do not mind the fact that O.J. Simpson walks free. There are people who do not mind the fact that Lon Horiuchi is not only not punished for his atrocity at Ruby Ridge, but he continues on the public payroll. There are those who know who killed Vince Foster, but are not bothered by the fact that the subject has been dropped officially. I mind those things. Do you?" - Jeff Cooper
Old June 8, 2000, 01:49 PM   #2
DMSC

I'd have to say what works best for you.

I've been hearing and reading that most "Pro" shooters and some big name defense instructors are advocating the isosceles stance. The reason, according to them, is because it is better for controling muzzle flip.

I thought I was a modified weaver user, until I saw some pictures of me shooting an IDPA match. I'm really somewhere in between a true weaver and the isosceles. Go figure!

[This message has been edited by DMSC (edited June 08, 2000).]
Old June 8, 2000, 06:05 PM   #3
Blue Heeler

If it's hard and fast-the Weaver is best otherwise the Isosceles.Iso gives a more consistent point and less stress.
But it's a personal thing,and there are many variations possible.
Old June 10, 2000, 05:17 PM   #4
Cat

My buddy is a graduate of several defensive shooting schools. In fact he is assisting in teaching at one of the schools this weekend. He uses the Isosceles and is VERY good. He has been trained to use this stance for years.
I learned to use the Modified Weaver stance. Whenever I try the Isosceles stance I find it very uncomfortable and revert to the Mod. Weaver.
I am broad (and heavy) through the chest and have short arms. The Iso just doesn't feel right for me.
Try them all, pick what works.
Neil Casper