The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 17, 2000, 03:42 PM   #1
rezman

Thanks for the reply George. FYI the headspace is good, the op rod and bolt cycle under their own weight with spring removed. No binding or unusual wear patterns that I can determine. Do you know what the proper recoil spring length is for this rifle? If my next step is to open up the gas port some more, by what increment and where do I stop for a max diameter? Also the gas cylinder/piston is larger than the normal Garand .525 and I can diassemble by hand. Is this too loose a fit on the barrel? Thanks again, rezman.
Old February 17, 2000, 11:05 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rezman, since it would be an easy matter to replace the recoil spring, I'd measure it then start experimenting. You might clip 2 coils off and try it. Repeat until it works. If you do wind up enlarging the gas port I'd do it as little as possible. You're at .109" now. I might take it up to .115". I'm not sure what the nominal length of the recoil spring is supposed to be but you're on the right track I believe. It just sounds to me like it is still short cycling. Will it eject the clip and lock when you cycle it by hand? George
Old February 18, 2000, 10:56 AM   #3
rezman

Yes, the bolt will lock back and eject the clip manually. What I was wondering about the gas cylinder is that mine will easily slip off the barrel by hand. From my readings I find references to using soft mallets or wood blocks to remove from splines on barrel. Could this be contributing to my short stroking problem? Do you know where I might purchase another recoil spring to experiment with and are these standard Garand springs that are shortened or is there a unique spring just for the tankers?
Old February 18, 2000, 11:42 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rezman, Gun Parts Corporation www.gunpartscorp.com should have the spring. The loose gas cylinder could be leaking and that would contribute to the short cycling. I didn't realize that it was that bad. You still may be able to remedy it by altering the recoil spring or adding more gas but you might consider replacing the block first. You can probably get that from gun parts as well. You might also check at www.jouster.com. Perhaps someone on that msg board could point you at another parts supplier. George