The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 27, 2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Jordo

Arisaka Type 44

Anyone out there got an idea how to remove the bayonet (boyonet and release button only) from a T44 Arisaka? I know the whole assembly will slide off after removing the 2 screws...but am attmepting to change out the blade and release/lock mechanism only to another T44...advice/directions appreciated...Jordo
Old November 28, 2011, 07:26 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I might be wrong as it has been a very long time since I have seen one of those, but I seem to recall that the bayonet pivot pin is a rivet (on some, one end is extended into a hook, but it is still riveted and the hook is part of the pin/rivet. In other words, it is intended to be a permanent assembly.

If you have the means of making a new pin, shaping it, then riveting it, you could drill out the old pin, then make a new one to match the original. But unless it was done very well, it would detract from the value of the carbine.

Jim
Old November 29, 2011, 01:22 AM   #3
doofus47

I"m going on old memory here, but I believe that there are 3 different types of stock mounts for the Type 44 bayonet, each more robust than its predecessor.
I am NOT sure if the method for mounting the bayonet onto the mounting bracket changed from type to type.
My only advice would be to confirm that the 2 types are interchangeable before you take out the original.

good luck with that; post some picks when/if you get it done.