The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2009, 02:57 AM   #26
TimT

Don't forget that a lot of people don't only reload to shoot, but shoot so they can reload.

It's a hobby unto itself.

I prefer shooting more, but I do enjoy reloading too. I think its fun finding the most accurate loads, and it brings a sense of accomplishment to shooting more than just shooting does.

It should also produce more accurate ammo too.

And of course, I love to bang out a bunch of V-max's for less than a third of what it would cost me to buy them - especially when mine are more accurate in my rifle.
Old October 25, 2009, 07:24 AM   #27
alloy

8/9 bux for 20 rounds of match-grade .308, and 18 bux for 100 rounds of .45 acp was proof enough for me.

Less talk, more reload.
Old October 25, 2009, 09:59 AM   #28
elkman06

Cheap..HaHaHa..

Reloading is not cheap...just cheaper per round after the initial set up.

My wife walked down into my reloading room the other day and just kinda looked around. As to my query what she was doing, she finally asked when I had gotten so much stuff.
I just told her that if I died tommorrow to just make sure she got someone who was learned to dispose of it all rather than the garage sale deals I have found. I got a acquaintance of mines ,Dads' stuff for 100clams. He probably just drank the 100 bucks up, at least I am appreciating what his Dad had.

The truly important feature of reloading is not the associated price per round..It has improved my shooting skills exponentially.

That's the important part.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old October 25, 2009, 10:16 AM   #29
pmeisel

Reloading doesn't really save money -- but it lets you shoot more for that money!
Old October 25, 2009, 10:31 AM   #30
Sevens

Quote:
Don't forget that a lot of people don't only reload to shoot, but shoot so they can reload.
Exactly right-- When I get some spare time, I love to get out there and unload this brass so that I have some more brass available to reload!
Old October 25, 2009, 03:59 PM   #31
Christchild

JerzeyDrez,

If You're SET on getting into Handloading, my BEST suggestion (I haven't read 100% of the replies to this thread, so please forgive me if I repeat one) would be to obtain a Handloading/Reloading manual for Shotgun Shells if You plan on loading them, and at least 1 manual (for now) for Handgun and/or Rifle.

For Handgun and/or Rifle, most of the "Basic" Manuals will do, to get You started...The latest Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Nosler or the like.

It should be alot easier since Your friend is into it. Good Luck! And as always, You've got us, here at the Forum.
Old October 25, 2009, 05:00 PM   #32
Jim243

Drez, it's too late you already have been bitten by the reloading bug. There is no comparison between your own reloads and commercial ammo. Your rounds will be 500% better than anything you can buy, with the exception of Match ammo, now that's expensive. When I started 5 years ago, I had the same feelings about it being not worth it. But 9mm for a 50 round box was $9.00 a box, it is now over $18.00 a box. Since I reuse my brass I don't count it in my cost anymore so with powder 0.04 and primer 0.035 and bullets at 0.15 each it comes to $0.225 per round or $11.25 per box or 50.

I shoot IDPA matchs which uses about 150 rounds or $33.75 per match. It would be $54.00 per match. Not a great savings but I shoot 5 matchs a year in addition to visiting the range about 10 times a year in the off season (winter). That's just 9 mm and I load for 10 other calibers (45, 40 S&W, 357, 38 spl, 223, 243, 7.62x39, 270, 35 remington and 30-06).

I started out slow by just loading 45 ACP. It is expensive to get started, but most of us have paid for our equipment many times over and shoot often.

If you think of it as a hobby or sport it puts it into prospective. One high end driver for golf will cost you $350.00 just for one club, a good putter $125.00 and now you have to buy your irons and a bag to carry all that in $450.00 for a good bag, want a golf cart that's more, golf balls, I don't even know what they are going for now. Last time I looked many many years ago it was $35.00 for a box of 6. Green fees to play ????? $60.00 for 18 holes.

But I am rambling, what ever you do it will cost you for your hobby. The start up costs are just that "start up costs" you do not have to start with a Dillon press, but can get one when you can afford it. I started with a Lee Clasic turret press and am still using it for all my loads.

Good luck
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; October 25, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old October 25, 2009, 05:05 PM   #33
Emerson

It all depends on how much you want to shoot. I want to shoot a minimum of 1000 rds a month, so I reload.

My 45 ACP loads with cast bullets are costing me about $125 / 1000 rds which works out to around $6.00 / box. Using the current cost of factory ammunition at $20 / box, I'm saving $280 / 1000 rds. So every 2000 rds I shoot I have completely paid for my Dillon 550b press set-up.

The question is how can you afford NOT to reload?
Old October 26, 2009, 09:30 AM   #34
Beartrak

If you shoot quite a bit, reloading isn't CHEAPER, you just get more BANG for the BUCK!!!!

I started with a Lee Loader and a yellow fiberglass mallet because .41 Rem Mag ammo (at the time!) was $18 a box for 50 rounds! Bullets, powder and primers cost me 5 to 8 (depending on bullet and powder charge) cents a round as opposed to 36 cents a round for factory!
I spent just as much on ammo as before, but I was able to shoot 3 to 4 times more for the same dollar!

STILL TRUE TODAY!
Old October 26, 2009, 02:45 PM   #35
JerseyDrez

Thanks for all your opinions everyone.

As of right now, I ordered my Load-all shell press, 16lbs of powder, 5k wads, and 5k primers.

I will be starting off with loading shells for now, as Im starting to shoot clay more often, and after I get a few more paychecks in the next few months, and christmas too, I will most likely be getting into pistol/rifle reloading.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I appreciate it. This thread will be perfect to look back at when the time comes for my pistol reloading equipment.

Whoever said it wasnt cheaper, but is more 'bang for the buck' sounds right!

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old October 26, 2009, 10:30 PM   #36
Fullthrottle

As I am new too, to the forums I cannot offer too much advise. I however came to the "reloading" part of this as being a California memeber and having a difficult time finding ready to go ammo!
I know of a few local boys that load their own....long before the days of hard to find components, not only for reasons of economy and such...but for acuracy and abundance! I think as you load and fire it does become more economical as you use and re-use the brass!

It is my first endevour into reloading, so far I have saved nill, but time will tell. I have researched and found more pro's than con's! Aside from the canned response "you won't save any, but will shoot more"! Not a disrespectful comment but it all depends!
I will say for sure.....I have learned much by lurking at this website......and hope to learn much more!
Old October 27, 2009, 12:34 AM   #37
reloader28

Trust me, you dont want to start reloading.People say you save money but thats BS. I know. I have enough presses (seven), dies, casting tools, chronos and other toys and gizmos that I can't afford to quit reloading. It's terrible. I could sell that reloading room and buy a new pickup.Fortunately, I can walk outside to my own 1000 yd rifle range, full trap range and pistol range (that we had to build because of reloading) so I dont need a new truck right now. I need more ammo. I have 2 single stage RCBS with the tops filed so they have the exact same dimensions. I can use any die I have in either press and the readings all come out the same. Its really handy for pulling bullets in one or setting up 2 presses for test loads. I'm not constantly changing dies (very hard work) and still have the single stage strength vs a turret. My Piggyback on another Rockchucker is nice for speed with the pistols and with my 4 MEC's and extra dies I can load everything except 10 gauge. Trust me you dont need this headache. I cant count how much ammo we shoot in a year but its alot. We had to start making our own bullets and there's more $$'s in casting equip. It's just terrible. Dont ever start, because you'll do nothing but get more and more .... Then you'll have to shoot more and more.... It never ends. I'm telling you, just awfull. HA HA LOL. Anyways stay basic and simple and you will save alot of money.

Last edited by reloader28; October 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:01 PM   #38
Colorado Redneck

Reloader said it right!

Once you get this sickness it seems to get worse and worse, a terminal disease, I think. But what a way to go!

My hobbies over the years have never been as much fun. I team roped for several years, rode mountain bikes, climbed mountains, and of course, drank too much for a few years. Nothing has made me smile more than loading and shooting. And unless my joints give out, this can go on till the end game is near.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:39 PM   #39
Hunley

I don't reload... YET...

I don't reload... YET... I want to so bad, but economic situations have seriously limited what I can do.*

[* - I got engaged, so MY money is now OUR wedding money. :barf:]

I came close to buying some stuff over the Summer, but had to have knee surgery that I'm still paying for. My shooting has gone down dramatically. In fact, it's been 4 months since I have shot a gun, and that was just to sight in my .308 after I mounted a scope on it.

That said, I'm asking for money for reloading stuff for Christmas. Hey, if the fiance can get a rock, I can get a Rock Chucker!
Old October 27, 2009, 10:42 PM   #40
PCJim

Jerzey, just take the plunge. We can tell by your posts that you've already made the decision, but just need someone to help with that first nudge. And, you're smart as you've already done the math. You'll find a lot of joy with the hobby as long as you remember what it is that you're doing - making controlled explosive devices.

Keep in mind that when ordering off the internet, primers and powder will incur an additional HazMat shipping surcharge. Bullets will not. If you are ordering primers/powder, order in large quantities so as to spread that extra cost. Remember that one pound of powder equals 7,000 grains. You can get over 12,000 rounds from a 8# jug of powder for pistol rounds requiring 4.5 grains per round. Order 12K primers and 8# of powder to spread that HazMat. You can probably split an order with your new reloading friend.

Welcome to the other side!
Old October 27, 2009, 10:54 PM   #41
DMZX

Jersey,

I do not reload to save money or to shoot more or to make better ammo.

I reload because of the high 'zen' factor.......
Old October 28, 2009, 07:15 PM   #42
James R. Burke

You do save some money when you reload. But lots of folks do it for the hobby, and to know they have the best round made for there rifle or pistol. I do it for both. Just nice knowing you have the perfect round for your rifle, or when you get a nice buck with the round you made.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:43 PM   #43
Foxbat

Like some people here, I am nuts. I come from work and I can't wait to get into my basement, I usually quickly kiss my wife and run downstairs, to the place where I can truly relax.

Sometimes I load a few hundred rounds, sometimes I just idly walk by the presses, load ten here, twenty there, sort bullets, brass, organize things...

I like reloading every bit as much as shooting. I am glad the two coexist so nicely!

Old October 29, 2009, 02:47 AM   #44
NWPilgrim

My eyes! My eyes! All I can see is blue everywhere!

Wow, Foxbat, that looks like FUN! Industrial fun.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 29, 2009, 03:16 AM   #45
Rangefinder

Why reload..... Because, A) it's FUN, B) because aside from initial equipment, it's cheap, C) it's vary versitile (how else am I going to develope all the best loads for all the different calibers I shoot, and D) because it's FUN!

Seriously, I got into reloading because of one rifle---my 6mm Rmington. I simply could not afford to feed it at 25-30 bucks a box when I was pushing three boxes through it every weekend. Just a couple weeks of no range time paid for my first RCBS set-up. Thant was nearly 15 years ago. The rest is history.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.