The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Doublestack

310gr. WNFP GC .44Mag. RANGE RESULTS ARE IN!

Hi All,

I have been reloading for a long while, and usually like to follow my manuals when working up a new load. I cannot find this bullet weight and configuration in any of my loading books.

I am looking for a fairly hot loading (middle of the road loading actually) for a .44 magnum with a hard cast wide nose flat point bullet with gas check. (WNFP-GC). This bullet comes from Oregon Trail and is called "TRUE SHOT, The Premium Silver Alloy Bullet" I purchased 150 of them from Midway USA.

I did do a search here, and found that most folks are suggesting WC820 (AA#9), H110/W296, Herco, and 2400 (Alliant?). I have not seen any data for a bullet this heavy. I am looking for a hard hitting load, that will not damage my model 29 or my Ruger New Model Blackhawk. I am not too worried about the BH (as it is a single action tank!), as much as I am the model 29.

Any suggestions on which powder would be best for a bullet this heavy? Also, where would I find safe reliable load data for whatever powder you suggest. I have the Lyman 47th and 48th editions, and niether has this bullet weight listed. They do list a 300gr. bullet (which is close enough), but I still would like an opinion on a powder choice.

2400 seems to be the preferred powder according to Lyman, but I am seeing a lot of folks here touting H110. Is the the same powder as W296?

Thanks,
DS

Last edited by Doublestack; December 8, 2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old December 6, 2007, 11:50 PM   #2
imdarren

Hi Doublestack,
You may know this, but we can't assume when it comes to MAX loads and safety. The Smith 29, and the single action Rugers are not revolvers that are recomended to be loaded with "really hot" loads. The Rugers that you can push REALLY hot, are the Redhawks, and Super Redhawk double action revolvers, along with the Freedom Arms model 83.

With that said . . . .
I just loaded some VERY hot 300gr Hornady HP/XTP's with 25.0gr H110 for my Redhawk. I do have the Laser Cast loading manual, and it does not have loads for the new "true shot" line. Let me share this with you however. The front of the Laser Cast manual states that they cast their (standard) bullets to 24 BHN, and can be pushed to over 2,000 FPS. So I would imagine the "true shot" bullets to be of similar hardness.

The Hodgdon manual shows a 325gr Lead Flat Nose w/ Gas Check base with Hodgdon H110 min load 20.0gr@1264FPS and 22.0gr MAX load @ 1368 FPS.
I would however use the 310gr bullet data. My Laser Cast Manual shows max powder for the 300gr with H110 to be 20.0gr @ 1,333 FPS.
Use Large Pistol Magnum Primers with that.

Also, SAFETY NOTE HERE ! ! ! ! ! !
YOU CAN NOT LOAD DOWN H110 BELOW RECOMENDED LOW LEVELS, IT CAUSES HANG RIRES.

Just remember you revolver will wear out much faster shooting hotties lkike that.

I use Hodgdon H110, as do MANY folks loading hot loads for their 44MAgs.
Give it a try, and let us know how you like those fancy new "True Shot" bullets.
Old December 7, 2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Doublestack

Hi Imdarren,

I ended up buying Alliant 2400, as some others had mentioned that they were getting some unburnt powder with the H110. I am using Win. Lg. primers for standard or magnum loads, which is a bit more than standard, but a bit less than true magnum primers (so I'm told).

I would have thought that the BH would be as strong if not stronger than the Redhawk, it being a single action revolver. Thanks for that info though. Good to know! That being said, I don't plan on loading these things to Max velocities. I will most likely keep them around 1000-1100 fps. That's plenty of power. I have load data for this powder in my Lyman 48th edition manual, but the data is quite different than what is listed for this powder in the Lee books. Go figure!

I plan on starting out on the low end, and running them over my chrono and testing for accuracy. I will keep y'all posted on the results.

Thanks for your input,
DS
Old December 8, 2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Doublestack

Well, It's off to the range with these fancy new 310 grainers. The WNFP barely has an ogive at all. Almost looks like a full wadcutter sticking out of the brass to regular OAL.

I loaded up 3 different loads. Based on Lymans 48th edition for a 300 gr. linotype (they don't list a 310, and these actually weigh 307). Their minimum load starts at 14.0 and their max. is set at 15.7 (pg.354). For the 300 gr.JSP, they list min. at 15.7 and max. at 17.5 (pg.353). I decided to load this bullet for test puposes at 14.0, 15.0, and 16.0. I will be sending them over the chrony with a Ruger New Model Blackhawk with a 7 1/2"bbl. If they don't seem especially hot, and chrono at or below 1000 fps, I will run a few through my model 29.

Report to follow this evening for anyone who might be interested.

DS
Old December 8, 2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Doublestack

Results are in.

Let me first say that accuracy during testing was excellent with all loads tested. Groups were around 2" at 35 yards, shooting off my range bag as a rest. All testing was with a Ruger NM Blackhawk with a 7 1/2" bbl. An Alpha Shooting Chrony was used to record velocities.

When I geared up my Dillon 650 to load .44 mags, I still had a few federal standard load primers in the priming tube, so I loaded 6 rds. using these sub-magnum primers and 14 grs. of 2400 powder. The difference between these, and the exact same loads using Winchester Lg. pistol primers for Standard or Magnum pistol loads was evident as you will see.

14.0 grs. of 2400:
Fed. primers- 968 fps.
Win. primers- 1041 fps.

Quite the difference with non-magnum primers. I am willing to bet that a lot of powder burned after it left the bbl. I could not see if there was a greater muzzle flash, as it was very sunny here today. All the loads below were loads utilizing Win. Lg. Pistol Primers only.

15.0 grs. of 2400 Through RBH with 7 1/2" bbl.
1076 fps.

15.0 grs. through a S&W mod. 29 with a 6" bbl.
1025 fps.

16.0 grs. of 2400 Through RBH.
1155 fps.

Conclusion: There is an approximate difference of 114 fps betweem 14.0 grs. of 2400 and 16.0 grs., which does not seem like much, but the difference in recoil was obvious. The 16.0 load was not hard to manage, and I dare say would knock down deer with ease. While I would not feed my model 29 a steady diet of these, my BH seems to like them very much.

I have 100 300gr.JSPs that I will be loading for use in the Mod. 29, and while the Lyman 48th edition manual states a min. of 15.7 (for 820 fps.) and a max. of 17.5 (for 934fps.), I think I will stay at 16.0 for these bullets. They will most likely chrony out at around 1000 fps.

I have fired factory ammo that seemed to have more recoil than the loads I tested. Be that as it may, a 310 gr. bullet flying at 1155 fps. produces a power factor of 358! That is twice what was necessary to make "Major" in an IPSC competition!

These new True Shot Silver Alloy GC bullets will apparently shoot very accurately with 16.0 grs. of 2400, and will definately pack a punch! As far as how they will perform on "Bambi", I will leave to you hunters out there. I'd be interested in the terminal balistics of this bullet, so if you get yourself a deer with one of these, please post it for us.

Later,
DS
Old October 27, 2009, 10:53 PM   #6
340gr

super blackhawk

hi all i own both super red and blackhawk models and the blackhawk is every bit as strong if not stronger then the red hawk i shoot a 340grain hardcast lead flat nose loaded to max saami from buffalo bore and load my own oregon trail 310gr with 18.5gr 2400 and magnum primers out of 8 7/8" barrel with good accuracy and a MASSIVE punch
Old October 28, 2009, 11:27 AM   #7
GP100man

Start with 17.0 grs. of IMR 4227 & work up .