The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2009, 06:08 PM   #1
crimson1911

45 acp and bullseye

Hey guys. I am new on the forum and I am looking for some insight on my 45 ACP loads.

Here is my load:
4.3 gr of bullseye
1.250-1.255 OAL
.471 taper crimp

Is this an ok load? I dont want to have pressure problems, or a round stuck in my barrel. I have to books that have differing data. My speer manual states 5.3 grains min and a OAL of 1.260. My lyman books states a min of 3.8 grains with a OAL of 1.275. Am i missing something? 1.260 is the max that will fit in my 1911 and FNP 45 mags. I fear pressure because of the unsupported case head of the FNP.

My previous load was:
4.3 gr of bullseye
1.260-1.265 OAL

I had feeding problems with this load and a lot of un-burnt powder flakes. After I shortened the load the extra pressure help to make a complete burn.

Thanks for any input guys!
brad
Old October 27, 2009, 07:05 PM   #2
dsv424

I use 5.3 grains Bullseye with 230 grain Hornady FMJ-RN, OAL of 1.260 in my Springfield Loaded and it is one of my favorite recipes. No problems, very accurate.
Old October 27, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
crimson1911

favorite load

How does your load compare to factory loads? Hotter or lighter? Maybe 4.3 is too light?
BTW I am using a 230 zero FMJ
Old October 27, 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Emerson

My favorite load for the 45 ACP is:

4.0 gr of Bullseye
200 gr cast semi-wadcutter

This load has been used for years by many people and it works. It's light recoil and I've never had a problem with functioning using the standard recoil spring in any 1911.
Old October 27, 2009, 07:58 PM   #5
dsv424

Sorry, don't have any comparison with factory loads. All I can say is they work very well in my gun and have made many since then because I really like the accuracy and recoil in this round. I got the recipe from my Speer manual. The range for this bullet is from 5.2 grains to 5.7 grains Bullseye. 4.3 grains does seem a bit light, but for plated or lead bullets it would probably be just about right. I also use 4.5 grains Bullseye, OAL of 1.245 with Berry plated 230 RN bullets and this recipe works well with them. This recipe I got from my Hornady manual.
Old October 27, 2009, 08:13 PM   #6
LHB1

What brand, weight, type (cast, swaged, jacketed), shape (round nose, full wadcutter, semi-wadcutter) of bullet?
Old October 27, 2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Casimer

4.3gr of BE is right at about the midpoint of what's common for match loads - e.g. I've used 4.0gr for 25yds, and up to 4.6gr for 50yds. The 4.6gr load feels pretty close to most FMJ factory ammo that I've shot.

I've never had any issues w/ the lighter load and my pistols are set-up for hardball.

My crimp is a bit more than yours (e.g. 0.470 - 0.469).

And my COLs range from 1.262 - 65 depending on the pistol.

Alliant's minimum recommended OAL is 1.26 - that 1.275 number is the SAAMI maximum COL

Are you familiar w/ how to determine the length of your pistol's chamber using an uncharged cartridge - i.e. seat a bullet long, press the dummy cartridge into the chamber until it's at the proper depth in relation to the hood, and then measure the result?
Old October 27, 2009, 08:24 PM   #8
zonamo

I have loaded hundreds of rounds using 4.8 gr of Bullseye and the Zero 230 gr FMJ. My COL was longer than yours at 1.268, crimped at .472.

Your load of 4.3 grains should be just fine.

Are you sure your crimp was tight on the load that gave you trouble? A loose crimp can give erratic results. I'd adjust that before seating deeper.
Old October 27, 2009, 08:35 PM   #9
crimson1911

I have never measured my chamber... I would greatly appriciate it if you could explain in more depth? Thanks a ton.

I am loading 230 grain RN FMJ. Yes, the previous crimp did give me trouble. I also had problems with alot of unburnt powder. I heard more pressure was needed to to complete the burn inside the case with bullseye. Seating a touch deeper helped with feeding alot. I am now crimping at .471. This seems to be ok in my factory barrels. I plan on doing some testing from a rest very soon with my new load. I am used to loading 9mm and 40 S&W where pressure is a huge deal.

Also I am seeing a small bulge in the case wall at the base of the bullet. Normal? Or is my sizing die undersizing too much?

Last edited by crimson1911; October 27, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Casimer

Quote:
I have never measured my chamber... I would greatly appriciate it if you could explain in more depth?
It's very simple. But this method may be controversial for reasons that I'll point out.

Take an empty 45 ACP case and seat one of your 230gr FMJ bullets in it. Seat this so that it's very long in the case using your press ( e.g. 1.275"+). But don't crimp the case. You want the bullet to move within the case when a little force is applied.

Then place this dummy cartridge into your chamber. It's easiest if the barrel is removed from the pistol when doing this. Hold the barrel so that it's pointing straight downwards.

The case will most likely extend past the hood like the illustration at the far right below.

You'll then press the cartridge into the chamber using your thumb against the case head. Do this gradually and with only moderate force. The cartridge should fall out if you invert the barrel. You don't want to embed the bullet into the rifling, though you should see slight rifling marks on the bullet afterwords.

Continue to press the case into the chamber gradually until the case head is flush with the end of the hood, as in the third illustration from the left below.

Then remove the cartridge and measure the resulting OAL, from the end of the case head to the end of the rifling marks - not the tip of the bullet.

The controversy comes in if you use this method to set your COL.

This approach will give you a measurement for the cartridge headspacing on the bullet. The 1911 is designed to headspace on the case mouth. But a lot of people headspace on the bullet instead, including myself. This tends to result in better accuracy due to more consistent headspacing and engagement with the rifling. And it avoids the problem of having the cartridge headspace on the extractor, as in the illustration at the far left, which results from cases that are too short for the chamber.

But it also results in longer cartridges and a steeper pressure curve. So you may encounter problems feeding these from some magazines, and it's a good idea to adjust your charges to accommodate the increase in initial pressure.

Old October 28, 2009, 08:57 PM   #11
darkgael

Bullseye

Yep, 4.0 grains of Bullseye and a 200 grain LSWC. Me too.
Classic load.
OUtdoors on the 50 yard targets, I use 4.9 grains and a Remington 185 Match JSWC.
Pete
Old October 28, 2009, 09:57 PM   #12
drail

That is a GREAT load for most guns.