The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 12, 2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Blindjim

What do you use, slings and or belts/vests?

hello everyone,

I am sure I am in need of some help & experiences please.

I believe I’d like to add slings to one or both of my longer guns. Moss 930 SPX, & Bereta CX4. They likely will see very limited duty, but I’d want at least one which I can use on either weapon.

I’d like for it to allow me to carry the gun at waist level & ready condition for one thing, and be lenfgthy enough to aid in my shooting position. Of course I’d want to be able to carry whichever one normally or on the shoulder too.

Will any of the slings out there attach immediately to the existing studs or OEM holes each weapon has built into them, or must I drill in new points of attachment, here or there?? or use & or add more pick rails? I hope not but....

Some of the terms I see associated with sling ads escape me so help there too would sure be nice.

Along with this crazy idea, it seems only right to carry along ammo for either rifle or shotgun too so perhaps a belt or vest is in order.

I sure would appreciate any of your present solutions for all or part of these notions of mine.

Just looking for simple to install and use, comfortable, reasonably durable, and not those items listed in the top price ranges, please.

Thanks so very much!
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

.... for me, life becomes less and less shocking with every pull of the trigger.
Old June 12, 2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Doyle

All standard rifle-type slings will carry a weapon upside down if you try to carry it in front of you (plus they won't be long enough). They are made to "shoulder-carry" your gun.
Old June 12, 2012, 09:43 AM   #3
dayman

Isn't the primary use of a sling to steady the weapon when shooting?

I think what you're looking for is a "battle sling".
I'd imagine they'd use the same attachments as any other sling, but they might not. There seems to be several styles of slings that have different number of attachment points.

As far as extra ammo goes, for the shot gun I'd go with either a butt cuff, or a side mounted shell carrier. I've never had a pistol caliber carbine, so I can;t really say what would work well for the Beretta.
Old June 12, 2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Hansam

Look for a 3-point sling. That's about the closest to what you're looking for. As for an ammo belt and/or vest well that's up to you.

When I'm hunting I just stick a handful of loose cartridges in a pocket of my coat or vest (depending on the weather). On the other hand if I'm thinking of a SHTF situation I've got a tactical vest and belt with pouches that are filled with mags.
Old June 12, 2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Blindjim

Thanks for the input here so far….

know of any outlet for acquiring these slings or who makes decent ones?

Upside down doesn’t really work…. Not long enough to wrap up in doesn’t either.

Apparently I am seeking some SHTF oriented gear. I felt it an approach to more easily allow access to ammo and operation of the guns themselves however…. But no matter… BATTLE gear it is then.

Black or cam’d up works just fine for me. I’ll not squawk on colors much. Aside from Desert or coyote tans. I’m in alligator & hog country.

I thought to get some listings here on duty belts I can attach magazines and maybe a holster for my FNP 45 Tactical w/laser, onto as well as a few links to decent slings.

As one poster said already, ‘battle sling’ types.

Nuttin’ Fancy… durable, military like belts, and reasonably confortable materials for the slings. Mag pouches ought to be easy enough to come by… how they affix or if they do is the ticket.

Thanks all so far, and I’ll keep looking too though.
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

.... for me, life becomes less and less shocking with every pull of the trigger.