The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 2, 2010, 04:11 PM   #1
fsfty

Scary Moment...

I was at the range with my AK-47, and after shooting about 30 rounds, I barely placed my finger on the trigger as I aimed down range and the gun went off. I was pretty shaken up because I hadn't intended to shoot yet. This has never happened to me before with that or any other gun. Later, I spoke my brother, and he said this had happened a few times with his AK. Has this ever happened to you guys? I think I would like to get a new trigger for this gun, but have no idea how much this would cost at the local gunsmith. The trigger i now have isn't adjustable. How much would a trigger job run, and would you guys opt for the same thing?
Old August 2, 2010, 04:21 PM   #2
primetime

Keep your finger outside the trigger gaurd until you are in position, and ready to fire... This is a basic safety rule for any gun.
Old August 2, 2010, 04:23 PM   #3
boredelmo

So your finger was clear of the trigger guard, then you pointed it down range, index finger into trigger guard and the gun fired from minimal pressure on the trigger? Quite a bit less than normal?

I would take it to a smith to find out exactly what is wrong before replacing the trigger. I would also not fire the gun until the problem has been taken care of....or even chamber a round...
Old August 2, 2010, 04:52 PM   #4
collector rob

If your AK has a Tapco G2 trigger assembly, it may be one of the ones that were recalled.

http://www.tapco.com/news.php
Old August 2, 2010, 05:00 PM   #5
fsfty

Primetime, as noted in my post, i was aiming downrange when it occured (i actually still hit the target )How can I determine if I have a tapco trigger assembly? Also, what would replacement generally run at a gunsmith?
Old August 2, 2010, 05:05 PM   #6
collector rob

A replacement G2 trigger set should cost around $30.00 It should say Tapco on it.

http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?...oduct_id=29979

Go to one of the AK boards for detailed installation instructions. Install is pretty easy.
Old August 2, 2010, 05:07 PM   #7
fsfty

Thanks...im kinda new to guns; could it be anything else besides the trigger set?
Old August 2, 2010, 06:50 PM   #8
fsfty

I took the gun to the gun store and they are sending it to their gunsmith to replace the trigger, preferably with something other than Tapco. I've read good reviews about tapco, but given the recall I read about, and the problems im having, I'd rather go with someone else. You guys scared me even more than i already was, and i thank you...it made me get it fixed.
Old August 3, 2010, 04:30 PM   #9
Sgt.Saputo

The best and often the worst safety is YOU. Hope they get it fixed quick

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337