The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2002, 04:21 PM   #1
braindead0

.357 revo - Redding Profile crimp die or anoder RCBS seater/crimper

I'm planning on upgrading my chucker with a piggyback III and figure I'd be better off seating and crimping in seperate operations.

Wondering about any advantages to using the Redding profile crimp die for .357 revolver use? I figure it's either that or get another RCBS carbide die set and have some spare parts.

tia.
Old September 6, 2002, 10:45 AM   #2
braindead0

Yikes, no opinions? I almost expected to start a 'my die is better than your die' war ;-)
Old September 6, 2002, 02:53 PM   #3
stans

While I have no experience with the Redding Profile Crimp, I do crimp all cartridges as a separate process. I found that accuracy was improved and I just use RCBS taper or roll crimp dies.
Old September 7, 2002, 07:41 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT QUESTION UNDENIABLY worth it.

Tested; fact: Reding Profile Crimp die will increase accuracy (".....but not always.....").

Buy.
Old September 7, 2002, 09:37 AM   #5
Intel6

I always seem to be sayting this after WESHOOT2 says it about the Redding PC.

Most definitly get and use the Redding Profile Crimp dies. As WESHOOT2 has said they can and do help in performance and accuracy. I have done a bunch of testing with different revolver calibers and have found that the PC gives me a much more consistent round and increased accuracy. I use them for .32 S&WL/.32 MAG; .38/.357/.357 MAX; .44 SPL/.44 MAG; .45 Auto Rim and ACP rounds in my revolvers and .45 COLT.
Old September 7, 2002, 05:06 PM   #6
braindead0

Thanks, turns out that it's cheaper to just buy the profile die anyway.. at least since midway doesn't have any RCBS roll crimp dies in stock.. Heck, $14 or so.. cheap..
Old September 12, 2002, 07:36 AM   #7
braindead0

Well, got a profile crimp but not very sure on the setup. The instructions are a bit light. From what I understand it's got a taper crimp followed by a roll-crimp, after several adjustment attempts I see no evidence of roll-crimp at all. It also seems to be very stiff (I know they suggest lube on the neck, that's a pain in the rear).

I'm wondering if the fact that I'm loading lead (and thus 2thous bigger) if the taper crimp portion is just too tight?

I ended up adjusting it down to the point where the end of the casing (about 1/32" down) was showing some galling, still no sign of roll-crimpage.
Old September 13, 2002, 04:22 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

Adjust with an empty case first, so you can reach the point where the 'roll' begins, then fine-tune it from there.

Always use at least 'medium' crimp, and any load with a bit of snot qualifies for 'heavy'.

Never used lube before............should be 'firm', as you're taper-crimping first.
Old September 16, 2002, 08:21 AM   #9
braindead0

Thanks, didn't think about trying it with an empty case for starters. Pretty much all of my loading these days is for IDPA so I'm running pretty low powered loads (158gr LRN 850fps), shouldn't require a very heavy crimp.

I'll take another shot at it.
Old September 16, 2002, 08:52 PM   #10
WESHOOT2

WACKY ME

No, I'd still give that a fair 'heavy'.
Old September 17, 2002, 07:53 AM   #11
braindead0

I suppose if I can put the bullet end on the bench and lean real hard on the casing.. if it doesn't push in I think I'd be okay (I can lean really hard, cause I'm not lean at 250# ;-)
Old September 17, 2002, 07:07 PM   #12
stans

Leaning in on a loaded round is a fairly good test to see if the bullet can be pushed further into the case. Revolver rounds usually do not suffer from bullet setback, that is an auto-loader problem. Revolver rounds suffer from the bullets being pulled out of the case due to recoil when another round is fired. A firm crimp does two things for revolver ammo; it promotes better powder burning thus producing more consistent velocities and it prevents bullets from being pulled out of the case.
Old September 18, 2002, 07:26 AM   #13
braindead0

As my usual bullets (158 LRN) have a nice crimp groove, and I'm not loading compressed loads... if I can't set back I don't suspect it will move forward either...

Thanks for the suggestions on this, next loading session (damn, not too many of those now that I've gone progressive ;-).. I'll be giving it another shot.