The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 13, 2013, 05:42 PM   #1
KyJim

The NY Journal-News wants names of Ky. gun owners

You may recall the NY Journal-News recently drew a lot of flack for publishing a list of registered gun owners in that area. It seems they haven't learned anything. They have actually requested a list of owners in Whitley County, Kentucky. http://thenewsjournal.net/details/70...ley-gun-owners

Kentucky doesn't register gun owners and the only database is the state police database of those with concealed carry licenses. That list is exempt from public disclosure under state law. That begs the question, though, of WHY a New York paper would want a list of gun owners in Whitley County, Kentucky. Whitley County is a mostly rural county on the Tennessee border along the I-75 corridor. I can't figure it out unless somebody in Whitley County chastised the NY newspaper and the paper is trying to retaliate. That seems very petty, though, even for a rag like the Journal-News.

Mods: I posted this in Law and Civil Rights since this involves the NY paper's attempt to "out" legal gun owners in the hopes of passing stricter gun laws.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

That seems like a perfectly sound reason to post it here. It's kind of a "First Amendment vs. Second Amendment" problem.

Besides, I just wanted to spam your thread so that I can find it again. This is interesting stuff!
Old February 13, 2013, 08:24 PM   #3
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim
You may recall the NY Journal-News recently drew a lot of flack for publishing a list of registered gun owners in that area. It seems they haven't learned anything. They have actually requested a list of owners in Whitley County, Kentucky.
The article mentioned the NY Journal-News, but did not say the newspaper requested the names.

Quote:
On Jan. 30, Harrell received an open records request from Aaron Nobel, editor of the website, Heavy.com, requesting copies of public records that contain the names and addresses of all handgun permit holders in Whitley County.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:46 PM   #4
KyJim

Okay, I"m going to have to correct something. The article starts out by referring to the Journal-News. It then states:
Quote:
The editor of a website in New York, who is apparently unaware of Kentucky laws, is apparently attempting to obtain information about handgun owners in Whitley County.

On Jan. 30, Harrell received an open records request from Aaron Nobel, editor of the website, Heavy.com, requesting copies of public records that contain the names and addresses of all handgun permit holders in Whitley County.
So, it's an unrelated website asking. That's what happens when you read too fast. Still kind of a weird request . . .
Old February 13, 2013, 08:50 PM   #5
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim
Still kind of a weird request . . .
The request is WAY beyond simply weird.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Ben Towe

Quote:
The request is WAY beyond simply weird.
That was my thought. Even if available, what possible purpose could such information about a rural Kentucky farming community serve?
Old February 14, 2013, 11:31 AM   #7
JimDandy

I figured what the hell, and went to Heavy.com to see what sort of website it is. Didn't delve too deeply but if I had to guess, I'd guess advertising. It looks like an entertainment news website with a focus on UFC, the Military Channel, and E! Entertainment News type stuff.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:12 PM   #8
KyJim

Quote:
but if I had to guess, I'd guess advertising.
You may be right. In any event, it doesn't look like any kind of civil rights/Second Amendment issue at this time. Perhaps it is appropriate for the Mods to close this thread.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Until someone comes up with some definitive reasons, yeah, it's closed.

PM me to reopen or start a new thread.
Closed Thread