The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1
roc1

Hornady New Style Primer Feed

Hornady New Style Primer Feed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I switched a good while back my old style Hornady primer feed on my AP press and it works so much better than the old switched unit ever did.I just now tried to load 45 acp on this press again as I have been loading these on my Dillon Square Deal which works great.My story is this primer feed along with the casefeeder on the Hornady works great now no problems with 45 acp as in the past.The shellplates were also modified by Hornady so my 45acp problems seem to be over.The only thing I need to do different is buy a Hornady taper crimp die so I can use the eject wire and get rid of the Lee FCD at the last station
Old September 4, 2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Shoney

Or you can do as I have done, very carefully taper grind off the side of the die so the wire is minimally touched or not touched at all.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old September 6, 2008, 10:16 AM   #3
MADISON

Hornady New Style Priming

Back in 1989 I bought a Hornady PROJECTOR.
The priming system on it was inconsistant and allowed me to crush primers.
I bought an RCBS Bench Mounted priming system [09460] and have been very happy ever since.
Old December 4, 2008, 12:47 PM   #4
RV4driver

I have a new AP L-N-L press, and it has problems with the primer feed system. The slide that picks up the primer from the bottom of the tube occasionally jams on a primer, I need to fiddle with it to get it to release and slide into place under the shell. Sometimes it slides into place without a new primer in the hole.
This really slows down the process, as I have to check it often if the seating action feels the slightest bit different. I've just switched to CCI small pistol primers, but haven't run enough of them yet to see if it was the Winchesters.

I prefer Winchesters, as they seem to be more available locally, but if CCI will solve the problem, I would change.

Anybody else have this issue?

Jeff
Old December 4, 2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Shoney

RV4driver
When my LNL priemer feed acted up, it was usually when the last few primers remained in the tube. I solved the problem by getting a small wooden dowel, 3/32 I think, which are available at hardware stores or hobby/craft stores for 30-40 cents. I then inserted it into the top of the primer tube.

With the tube empty and with one primer in the slide, I marked the dowel at the top of the tube. When primers were inserted, the weight of the dowel kept the primers feeding flawlessly, and I have a visual measure for the primers remaining.

I have also heard that a few people have used brass welding rods for the same purpose.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 4, 2008, 07:07 PM   #6
LHB1

I also use a small wooden dowel in the primer tube to ensure that primers don't hang up in the tube. For additional pressure, I put an empty .223 case upside down over the top of wooden dowel. Works great.
Old December 5, 2008, 08:28 AM   #7
GoldenRoyBoy

Hornady

Like a few of you guys, I too own Hornady's progressive LNL press. In fact, two. They can be finicky; and down right aggrevating.

Someone above mentioned how the primer slide will stick; or not load a primer. I've found, by loosening the screw at the top of the primer slide bar, you can adjust the movement of the slide. I also occasionally spray the slide bar with Hornady's dry lube.

One problem I've had is when using CCI primers. As you know, these are chrome plated. Combine that with nickel plated brass, and it's a mess. Yesterday, in fact I was decapping, sizing, priming some new 45acp nickel PB and found I had to exert far too much pressure just to properly seat the primers. From now on, I personally will not combine CCI primers, and nickled brass.

GRB
Old December 5, 2008, 12:39 PM   #8
MADISON

Hornady primer feeds

When I bought my Hornady PROJECTOR back in 1989 the primer feed crushed more primers. I went with OFF PRESS PRIMING. I bought an extra set of dies and removed the decapping stim for off press use. My RCBS [09460] Off press Bench Mounted priming system works excellent!