The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 23, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Leary989

Is this a normal indoor range?

Hi there Im fairly new to shooting and new to this site. I have a question about an indoor range near me, seeing as though Ive never been to one before I searched the web looking for one in my area and found one with a website. On there it stated that youre not allowed to wear shorts, sandles, fire any ammo that is aluminum or steel cased ammo, and no surplus or foreign military ammo. Now my question is is this normal or is this place just a bunch of nazis? Thanks for any response.
Old April 23, 2008, 06:09 PM   #2
KDM

Welcome!

Each range is gonna have its own set of rules. The one I go to stresses no rapid fire (double-taps are OK), and no sandals.

For your range, their reasoning is probably: shorts and sandals don't provide enough protection from burns (hot brass between your toes would hurt like hell); aluminum and steel-cased ammo isn't reloadable, and they probably collect and sell the brass (takes too long to sort through aluminum/steel); surplus or foreign ammo...who knows to what specs those are loaded. Brass is suspect. Also, all steel-cased ammo is foreign-made, AFAIK, so it's a double coverage type thing.
Old April 23, 2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Leary989

Thanks for responding. Yeah I knew why they didnt like the sandals/shorts thing, I just think its silly. Good explanation on the other question though. I found a dumpy place by me last weekend, my wife wore sandals and I wore shorts, rapid fired alot and were the only ones in there. I think Ill go back there I prefer freedom over luxory.
Old April 23, 2008, 08:34 PM   #4
velocette

I suggest that you make quite certain that the ventilation system of any range you attend is both effective and functional. Lead poisoning from airborne lead particles and from the lead in the priming compound of most ammo is no joking matter. A free spirit and loose rules are fine but if you are dosing yourself with lead fumes, it is not a good bargain.
This is being written by someone that did not worry and has spent over a year getting his blood lead levels down to near normal.

Roger
Old April 24, 2008, 09:25 AM   #5
UniversalFrost

the rules posted sound normal, but the foreign made ammo issue can be argued. S&B (Czech company) has been making ammo for well over a 100 years and are well respected through out the world. Rarely do you get bad ammo from them. I agree that most other "foreign" made ammo has poor QC and the brass is horrid.

Also the no military ammo issue is due to the reloadability factor and also the possibility of getting some steel cored stuff that would go right through their bask stops and out the building .

Roger hit it on the head about the ventilation issue. Make sure that they have a nice system or you will be hurting (health wise) in a short time. Sometimes just having a door open at each end of the building is enough to get a breeze going and remove the lead in the air.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 24, 2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Leary989

Thanks for the replies guys, I honestly didnt even consider the whole ventilation thing till now. Im definately not going back there, it wasnt well ventilated at all. I guess Ill try the outdoor range by my house, my only other option really thats conveniant. Any differences between indoor/outdoor besides the obvious?
Old April 24, 2008, 06:41 PM   #7
pax

Quote:
Yeah I knew why they didnt like the sandals/shorts thing, I just think its silly.
It is silly if you think they are just concerned that you might get an owie on your foot from a piece of hot brass.

It is not silly when you consider the huge and significant safety hazard a sudden pain in the foot can cause when it happens to a brand-new shooter with poor trigger discipline and no muzzle control ...

pax
Old April 24, 2008, 06:56 PM   #8
grymster2007

ya know pax,

I've read quite a number of your posts now and it's usually pretty hard to poke holes in your logic..... but I'm gunna be watchin'.

My nearest indoor range has similar rules on attire and no rapid fire. Tap tap OK.

Nothing on ammo that I've seen.
Old April 24, 2008, 07:17 PM   #9
OnTheFly

Wasn't there a post here on TFL where a lady had some hot brass that went down her shirt? As she went to retrieve it with gun in had, she shot herself. Or is that just an urban legend?

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old April 24, 2008, 07:30 PM   #10
Stiofan

Perhaps the guy next to her tried to retrieve it, and she shot him. Now that I can believe.
Old April 24, 2008, 09:04 PM   #11
OnTheFly

Found it!

Range incident!!!

I KNEW I wasn't crazy...on this anyway.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old April 25, 2008, 05:16 PM   #12
davlandrum

Quote:
Any differences between indoor/outdoor besides the obvious?

must...resist...the....obvious....

I can't stand to shoot indoors, it just feels wierd to me. As long is there is a roof to keep the rain off the firing line (and even sometimes when there isn't) I like being outside - less noise, less fumes.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 26, 2008, 03:32 PM   #13
bcrash15

Some difference between indoor and outdoor ranges

outdoor has wind (not as much a problem for pistols).
Has unlimited natural ventilation.
generally not cleaned as frequently (either trash or brass).
indoor tends to be harder on the ears; with more people closer together and the echos from the walls.