The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 11, 2013, 07:43 PM   #1
RCP Fab

Playing gunsmith.... sorta.... Ruger American

I can't leave anything alone. First I clearanced around the barrel a bit, then I decided that it needed to look different... just to me be.

Old March 11, 2013, 08:24 PM   #2
kutz

Nice job, I love my plain, but accurate American in .270.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Dan Newberry

that trigger is a breeze to work on too... remove the trigger pin, then you can get at the spring (the one the tension hex screw adjusts)... clip a couple of coils and voila... 2 pounds, crisp and clean. Put some white lithium grease on the sear engagement for best results...

good job on the forearm... I opened up the channel a bit on my son's .243 also, but not to that extent.

Dan
Old March 12, 2013, 07:53 AM   #4
RCP Fab

Thanks

Dan, do you have any pictures of the trigger work? It is something that I want to do, but I am a little nervous about going at it blind.
Old March 12, 2013, 02:57 PM   #5
hooligan1

Dang dude that's wat I call "Free-Floating", that will definitely make the barrel vibrations more repeatable.
Old March 12, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
RCP Fab

We will see if it makes a difference. This past weekend I probably abused the rifle a little more than I should have, and the warmer it got, the bigger the group got. About 60 rounds into the day I noticed that the barrel was completely touching the stock on the bottom and the left side. Moving the rifle around on the bench I could get it flex close to an 1/8" in any direction. Just the tension on the bipod legs from taking aim would completely change how and where the stock was touching the barrel. The underside of the barrel at the front of the stock has a shiny silver "smile" from contact.
Old March 12, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Polinese

You could try what I did with my savage axis and fill the front in with epoxy putty to stiffen it up.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Picher

I've filled in plastic forends with epoxy, but set pieces of blue styrofoam in the bottoms of the chambers to take up space without adding weight and using so much fairly expensive epoxy.

The barrel can be wrapped with tape to maintain clearance from epoxy, but don't forget release compound on the tape. I use soft paste wax, like clear shoe polish on my bedding jobs. It's the best release compound I've ever used.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:57 PM   #9
RCP Fab

Interesting. I might look into do that in the future as well. Right now I have the butt of the stock filled with some rubber, I am looking for a more permanent solution to that.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:45 PM   #10
RCP Fab

Did the trigger work, simple, and works great, going to do a small write-up for others.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Dan Newberry

yeah, the RAR trigger is the easiest trigger to work on I've ever seen... it's a 5 minute job, really...

It'll be good to have some pictures... I didn't take any (I wasn't sure it would work, and didn't want a photo record of a screw up! )... but it worked like a champ.

I'm glad it worked well for you also.

Dan
Old March 12, 2013, 09:52 PM   #12
RCP Fab

I didn't take pics either, but here's a pretty simple write-up. Really if you can unbolt the stock, you can handle the trigger.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519494
Old March 16, 2013, 03:28 PM   #13
RCP Fab

Rifle shot great today, 1.5MOA all day, with some pretty decent wind, and I am not the best of shooters that's for sure.