The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 24, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1
RevolverOcelot

Is the Benelli Super Black Eagle Good?

What's the difference between the Super Black Eagle and the Super Black Eagle II?

What year did the Super Black Eagle come out? Can it handle a lot of shooting? I want a long lasting semi auto shotgun.

On another note, is there a semi auto shotgun that is good for home defense and hunting? (maybe with changeable barrels?)

Is it at all practical to use a Super Black Eagle for Home Defense? It has an upper receiver and lower, so you could get an upper with a short barrel and an upper with a long one, one for hunting and one for HD.

Last edited by RevolverOcelot; December 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old December 24, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
rcase1234

The SBE can definetly handle A LOT of shooting. A man named Tom Knapp shoots one and recently retired his first one with over a million rounds through it and it was still shooting. So I highly doubt you could wear one out in your lifetime. They are very reliable
Old December 24, 2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Virginian

Try before you buy. Tom Knapp was sponsored by Benelli, so I suspect they replaced any part that might get worn before it did. They fired him when he had an illness, and he's now shooting something else.
A friend had an SBE back in the late 80s. I was thinking of getting one and he let me use it quite a bit. I liked it's looks with the wood stock, and the way it handled. Fit me well, and didn't work worth a hoot with light loads, which didn't bother me in a waterfowl gun. Fairly stiff recoil with 3" loads. Then I tried 3-1/2". Holy cow, I swear that thing kicked worse than a Mossberg 3-1/2" pump. I am no recoil wimp, having shot a specially lightened Browning BPS 10 gauge pump for a few years until tungsten came along, but that thing was over the top for me. The newer SBE IIs have a recoil absorbing two piece stock, which I cannot stand, but it does attenuate recoil.
Old December 24, 2012, 02:58 PM   #4
scottycoyote

ive got a friend who has a sbe, i LOVE that gun. He lets me borrow it for sporting clays when we go, it points naturally for me and it just runs like a sewing machine, hardly any recoil, its on my wish list whenever i have the extra cash
Old December 25, 2012, 10:12 AM   #5
CurlyQ.Howard

Get the Super Vinci as it handles recoil better than the SBE (I intend to do so once conditions dictate). That being said, I've got a SBE, and I love it. However, if you shoot enough 3.5" 2.25 oz. turkey loads through it, you may well get a detached retina. But, if your heart is set on a SBE, then installing a mercury recoil reducer/suppressor ought to tame the beast quite a bit. Finally, I know of a guy who removed the recoil pad (and shoots his SBE this way) to shorten the length of the stock a bit. One other thing: year around I do as many shoulder specific exercises as I can; it helps. As for light loads, I never had a problem with shooting them (one ounce loads were the lightest I ever used). And I believe that a SBE will work for decades trouble free (cleaning it at least once every several years though - more often if you like doing things right). Once again, get the Super Vinci or at least the Vinci.

Last edited by CurlyQ.Howard; December 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM.