The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 5, 2011, 01:44 PM   #1
C4talyst

Gun Cleaning Help

So I picked up a Pietta Model 1851 Navy U.S. Marshal .44 Caliber Revolver at a gun show some time ago...

http://www.cabelas.com/pistols-1851-...volver-1.shtml

Me, being somewhat of a noob in firearms, stored it improperly, and when I took it out to show someone, it was covered in rust/carbon. I've looked up information on how to get it off and make it look sexy again, but no luck.

I hear some people say use 0000 steel wool, but I tried that and got nowhere. I thought of going courser but people say you should not or you'll scratch the gun up.

I've heard people say use Hoppes 9. I left a coat on overnight, gave it a brushing in the morning, didn't even make a dent in it.

Called the local gun store, guy wants to charge me 45 bucks to clean the thing, and I KNOW that it can be done at home cheaper than that, but I'm not finding any answers regarding how to do it. It seems like it would be a very common task to perform, but I can't find anything helpful on it. All i find is bore cleaning instructions, but I'm not cleaning the bore. Well I am, but I want to clean the outside too.

So what do?

If there is a thread already about this, please link away. I did some searching and I'm not seeing much that talks about the outside and not the bore, just like google.

Edit - I'm hearing people talk about using simple green, superclean, and wd40 to get it off. Anyone have any opinions on that?

Last edited by C4talyst; October 5, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old October 5, 2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Chaz88

Try wet sanding it with the steel wool and a light gun oil or WD-40. If that won't even get you started cleaning it up I would pay the $40.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 5, 2011, 07:18 PM   #3
GP100man

ATF , let it soak 24hrs. then hit it again with the wool.

If this does`nt do it it`s time to reblue !
Old October 5, 2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

I just went to that web site and confirmed my hunch it's a black powder pistol. The good news is black powder residue can be removed; the bad news is it tends to be a soap and hot water exercise.

I don't know whether you have ordinary rust or black powder fouling and/or corrosion and/or something else. Have you checked the manual that came with the gun?

Quote:
I hear some people say use 0000 steel wool, but I tried that and got nowhere. I thought of going courser but people say you should not or you'll scratch the gun up.
I wouldn't go beyond 0000 steel wool; I also wouldn't apply much pressure or expect to make visible progress very quickly. It needs a light touch and lots of patience. It might be worth your while to have a gunsmith look at it and ask his advice.

Best of success to you, eh?
Old October 5, 2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Ideal Tool

Hello, C4. For surface rust..if you can find some copper or brass sheet..1/32" to 1/16" thick. flood surface with Hoppes or very light oil, and use as a scraper over surface to remove the rough stuff.
If the rust is heavy..theres probably going to be pitting underneath..nothing will remove this except to polish the metal down to below bottom of pits. If you can live with light surface pitting..it might give it that old-time look.
Old October 10, 2011, 10:48 PM   #6
curioso

I my self love to shoot the black p's own a pair of W B HICKOCK my self and a couple of 44's and to be honest the best result I had ever got is DIESEL try it for a couple of nigths the best of the luck for you, dont let it go