The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2006, 08:47 PM   #1
lizziedog1

Cast Bullets

I have just picked up an older rifle. I want to shoot cast bullets out of it. I realize that some of you cast your own lead bullets, but I do not have the time for that now.

I know there are several companies that make and sell lead projectiles.

Which company's bullets have any you tried?

Which ones seem to be the best?
Old January 9, 2006, 01:41 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

Lizzie, commercial cast bullets mostly suck. The good ones cost nearly as much as jacketed. Cast bullets need to be larger than groove diameter so you need to measure the bore diameter by forcing a soft lead slug through and measuring it. Tell us what you have and what you want to do with it, and some of us can help you.
Old January 9, 2006, 12:52 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Have a look here. http://www.nationalbullet.com/
Old January 9, 2006, 01:55 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

NBC-National Bullet is ok
I've also used Star and Valiant. All of those were for handgun bullets only.
I started casting because too many of the economy brands of bullets (such as those above) were oversized and choked my Glock.
Old January 9, 2006, 06:03 PM   #5
lizziedog1

What About...

I found a cast bullet company called Beartooth. Many of their bullets list a variety of diameters that a customer can choose from. Any of you tried these bullets?

These bullets will be for an old .25-35 rifle.

I am not looking for benchrest accuracy or long range big game performance. Basically I want bullets that will move forward upon pulling the tigger and not blow the gun up.

I do appreciate all the feedback I am getting.
Old January 9, 2006, 09:01 PM   #6
roy reali

A Good Company

I also occasionally buy cast bullets.

I have found the Oregon Trail Bullets to be pretty decent. While I also agree that homemade cast bullets are better, I have not had any problems with premade bullets.
Old January 9, 2006, 10:02 PM   #7
Leftoverdj

I don'r buy cast bullets, but Beartooth has a good reputation. For a .25-35, I'd go with .259 diameter and a bullet in the 100-117 grain range. Most .25-35have a very fast twist. You'll want a gas checked bullet unless you are content with very modest velocities, say 1200 fps or under.
Old January 22, 2006, 07:20 AM   #8
skeet47

cast bullets

I would check with Larry Moss of Precision Cast.He casts bullets for just about everything and has forgotten more about it than most of us will ever know.517-857-2700
Old January 22, 2006, 08:49 AM   #9
Ruger4570

Beartooth,, good stuff
Old January 22, 2006, 10:09 AM   #10
NDTerminator

I use Laser Cast (by Oregon Trail) bullets exclusively. the company guarantees they won't lead the barrel at jacketed bullet velocities, and I've found this to be true. I've run them up to 2,000FPS out of a 45-70, with no sign of leading. They are very hard (penetrate like a proper SOB for hunting) and extremely accurate. They also use some type of lube that produces very little smoke (many cast bullet lubes produce smoke & residue like you are shooting black powder). They're pretty reasonable, too. I pay $29.99 per 500 for 240 grain Flat Points I load for my 44 mag...

Charles Darwin
Old January 22, 2006, 11:18 AM   #11
Doug in Alaska

I shoot nothing but cast bullets in my Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun and Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull. I shoot gas checked bullets in the 45-70 because of the higher velocities and also in the Casull. I don't worry about gas checked bullets when I load the lower velocity rounds for the .45 LC which I also shoot in the Ruger Alaskan. Penetration with a 525 gr. Pile Driver shot from the 45-70 is incredible and this is my prefered load for big bear protection here in Alaska. I buy my cast bullets from BearTooth Bullets down in Idaho. Here is the link to the BearTooth web-site: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

If you decide to place an order, give Marshal at BearTooth a call first and he will make recommendations for your particular gun. The best time to get him on the phone is in the morning around 9AM Pacific Time. Most importantly, ask him about bullet diameter.