The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Is a firearm a good idea for a wedding gift.
Yes, it is always appropriate. 20 24.10%
Yes, but make sure you take out the trash. 3 3.61%
Depends on the woman. 40 48.19%
Are you nuts? 20 24.10%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 8, 2012, 03:01 PM   #51
bikerbill

I was going to say you'd left out "Hell, yes!" as a choice, thinking the gun would be for the lucky groom. But you're giving your prospective spouse, who owns one handgun and rarely goes to the range, a rifle as a wedding present? You must have a death wish. Let me tell you about the tornado I unleashed the time I got my first wife a set of Revere Ware pots and pans for an anniversary. Holy Guacamole! Jewelry, dude, and be thankful you asked us professionals for advice ...
Old September 8, 2012, 03:15 PM   #52
CWKahrFan

Quote:
I'm getting married Friday, and was going to give her first rifle as a gift.
So... OK OP jj ... It's Saturday... WHAT HAPPENED?
Old September 8, 2012, 06:27 PM   #53
youngunz4life

bikerbill has the best post so far w/regards to the actual OP. To the OP, don't go down that road(but I guess whatever happened already did). I made the mistake of buying two dogs a a surprise birthday present(yellow lab and chocolate lab). Well, let's jsut say I will Never hear the end of it. Not only did I screw up, I paid $600 for one to be mailed from MN and another $400 to a local dealer so they could be two different litters, different sexes, and 'in love' with each other.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:22 PM   #54
FloridaVeteran

This is a fun thread.

True story, embellished for entertainment. I've been married a half-century. Wife is 75%, NRA antique (which is good - check the Blue Book), but getting a bit crusty. We didn't exchange presents when getting married back then. Way long ago, when I didn't know squat about anniversaries - in the first of many decades of not knowing squat about anniversaries - I asked my mother what I should get my wife for a gift. She told me, straight-faced, a set of bathroom scales (since we didn't have any), so that's what I got. Fortunately, my wife didn't know how to shoot anything other than a .22 revolver and the only gun I had accessible was a 9mm or a .45. (Note to drones - this is all tongue-in-cheek)

For another event, probably her birthday, my mother suggested I get her a double boiler, which I did. It was received with equal enthusiasm. It's not like it was reciprocal or anything - all I ever wanted was "the usual."

There are only two things I have figured out that you can buy a wife and be certain that they are happy - either you get totally ripped off by buying jewelry (make sure it is exchangeable), or you can bury your manhood and buy some cutesy personalized "Julie, I can't believe I didn't meet you before I was born" picture frame, with flowers and crap all over it, from a Web site that sells them and put some cutesy photo in it. (A compromise might be to giver her the frame with a photo of you and your first trophy rack or turkey in it.) Flowers might buy you time, but they aren't "it." You'll learn that when the answer to "What's wrong?" is "Nothing."

Since I still don't know what the right wedding gift for a spouse is, I'd consider the rifle, bought from a local dealer, with a written note that it is exchangeable for another gun or stuff from the shop. That way, she gets to choose, you tried your best, and everybody waits for the next anniversary. The only do-not-ever-do is to buy her a scope for a rifle she doesn't own yet. That would be a really bad move. Don't ask me how I know.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:10 PM   #55
pnac

Quote:
I made the mistake of buying two dogs a a surprise birthday present
I had to reread that twice. It looked like "two dogs" might be a pet name for your wife!
Now that would be a girl with a sense of humor!
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old September 8, 2012, 11:00 PM   #56
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Privately between you two on your wedding day.. yes.-- Wedding Reception. I'd say not. Some of your guests just may be offended by the presents of a weapon openly around their children or themselves. No need to upset a few friends & family over your good intentions. It's your wedding reception and do as you please. But a firearm given as present by a Groom to his Bride in front of their guests. I don't believe would be considered good etiquette at a Formal Wedding Reception. On the other hand a 63-68 Corvette Roadster would be considered an excellent wedding day gift by all at your wedding reception.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:41 PM   #57
youngunz4life

pnac

Quote:
I had to reread that twice. It looked like "two dogs" might be a pet name for your wife!
Now that would be a girl with a sense of humor!
my buddy's name in the army was "two babies" ...i don't know if you have seen army uniforms up close but they have individual names on them. Two Babies was the name on his uniform. I knew another guy named 'runs with a knife' too