The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 22, 2009, 11:07 PM   #1
HOGGHEAD

Remington 1100 Question??

My father left me his 1100 Remington. It is a 12 gauge, 2-3/4", 30" barrel with full choke. No choke tubes. The shotgun has not been shot for over 20 years. The shotgun has fantastic wood on it, and is in excellent shape.

I want to start hunting with it.

I was going to buy a new barrel(preferably a good used one) with choke tubes. Can I put a 3" barrel on the shotgun?? Or do I need to keep it 2-3/4"??

I am going to take it to a gunsmith and have it taken apart and completely cleaned before I shoot it. However I really wanted a 3" shotgun. Maybe I will leave it in the safe and not hunt or shoot it. But I would like to hunt with it since it was my dad's.

Anybody got a good used barrel for sale?? Tom.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:54 PM   #2
zippy13

A 3" chambered barrel will fit your dad's 1100's receiver, but don't try to shoot 3" shells in a 2 3/4" action. If you want to shoot 3" shells, get a newer 3" gun. These days, most field 12-ga guns shoot 2 3/4" and 3" shells. This was not the case when the Remington 1100 was introduced almost 44 years ago. The 1100's gas system was pretty finicky and the main way to accommodate various loads was by varying the size of the gas port/s based on barrel length and the anticipated load (field or target).
Old January 23, 2009, 01:33 PM   #3
BigJimP

Like Zippy said - you need to stay with a new barrel chambered in 2 3/4".

No matter what you do / keep the gun. Instead of taking it to a gunsmith to clean it / I'd recommend getting a good book / maybe asking someone in your area to help you clean it. I think a gives a guy a better appreciation for the gun when you completely strip it and clean it. If you find some worn parts that worry you / then you can go see a gunsmith. Nobody will take better care of your dad's gun - than you will - do it yourself.