The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
tomf52

Throat?

Can somebody please define for me exactly what portion of a semi-auto barrel is considered to be the "throat". I would like to know exactly where to run the slug in the bore for the proper measurement of the throat area. Thank you for any help you can give.
Old February 25, 2006, 12:54 AM   #2
mtnboomer

All rifles and handguns have a "throat" or "freebore", just some look different than others. It is the unrifled area just ahead of the chamber where the bullet meets the leade of the rifling. If you look into the chamber with a strong light, and magnifying glass if possible, as you look past the chamber shoulder you will see a slight step where the case mouth shuld end. The area between this step and the beginning of the rifling is the "throat".

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old February 25, 2006, 02:06 AM   #3
joneb

So in a revolver is the forcing cone the throat ?
Old February 25, 2006, 09:14 AM   #4
caz223

No, the forcing cone is the forcing cone.
The area of the bore immediately afterwards, and before the rifling starts is the freebore or leade. (Called a throat in a semi.)
Old February 25, 2006, 01:22 PM   #5
918v

Not quite.

The forcing cone is the forcing cone. The throats in a revolver are in the cylinder, just ahead of the chambers. In other words, the part of the cylinder where the buller nose/head/etc. sits is the throat. Throats must be of the same or slightly larger diameter than the bore, else accuracy suffers.
Old February 25, 2006, 03:44 PM   #6
caz223

In a revo the part he's referring to is called a chamber throat.
But in most good revolvers after the forcing cone the rifling doesn't just start abruptly, it's cut at an angle.
Some aftermarket modifications can be done, like a taylor throat or a maxi throat. That's done AFTER the forcing cone BEFORE the rifling, and the barrel must be removed to do it.
This area is the throat. It is enlarged from 1/3 to 1/2 caliber width to a full caliber width or more on taylor throating to 2 or more caliber widths in maxi-throating. This is done to make sure the bullet is fully in the barrel and aligned enough to hit the rifling as square as possible. Taylor throats are for normal guns. Maxi throats are for guns that are destined to shoot larger than normal for caliber bullets, bullets so long that that any alignment problems are amplified by the longer than normal lead bullets.
That's not the same as having your forcing cone recut, or your chamber throats opened up.
Although most good smiths offer a package, recut chamber throats, 11 degree forcing cone, taylor throat, recut barrel/cylinder gap, polish cylinders for easier extraction, belt mountain base pin, and so on.
This helps .45 colts greatly, esp cowboy guns that shoot nothing but lead. It's almost like a new gun.
It costs like a new gun.
But on a conversation piece or heirloom, it's worth it.
I'm, of course using a cowboy type gun as an example. The terminology is the same.
Old March 1, 2006, 09:38 PM   #7
uscra112

Yeah, but he's asking about a semi-auto. Throat is the area just forward of the end of the case when the round is chambered. The bullet protrudes into the throat, which is usually a very short cylindrical section followed by a taper leading into the rifling. The taper itself is sometimes called the leade. There's an old, old article from the American Rifleman called "Proper Throating is the Key to Accuracy", which is as good an explanation of throats as I've ever read. Which issue I cannot remember, but it was 1970s sometime.
Old March 2, 2006, 08:14 AM   #8
caz223

Agreed.