The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2000, 05:13 PM   #1
3 gun

Shot the Friends of the NRA sporting clay fund-raiser today,long and short course,150 targets total. Hit at a 75% rate,not my best but they did put out quite a challenging set-up. One of the field workers about half way into the big course noticed I was shooting a Mossberg 500 pump. Seems the worker and the squad I was with found my speed with my 2nd shot suprising. The puller couldn't tell the difference between me and the other squad members on follow up shots on singles or on doubles. My question is this common? Is the number of O/U and Semi's in Sporting Clays just a nod to the the O/U multi choke advantage and the Semi"s softer recoil? I know I shoot more than most, but given that we are trying to get off "aimed" shots should there be a speed difference in skilled shooters ?

------------------
Be careful what you ask for..You may get it.
Old July 29, 2000, 09:11 PM   #2
Badger Arms

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3 gun:
I was shooting a Mossberg 500 pump. Seems the worker and the squad I was with found my speed with my 2nd shot suprising. The puller couldn't tell the difference between me and the other squad members on follow up shots on singles or on doubles. [/quote]

Yes, it's very common. I am of the opinion that O/U's are superior for the reasons you cited. The concern here is with speed, I believe. I dont' think there is anything slower about a pump action in deliberate fire. The cycling action of the arm is a natural function of the recoil impulse and does not adversely affect follow-up shot speed. With a Slam-Fire gun, one can often better semi-auto times.

Old July 30, 2000, 08:07 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A good friend has an A-5, and we were both quite surprised I could get off second shots with an 870 faster when dove hunting.

The semi and O/U advantage in the clays game is simplification, one simply has to focus on the next target rather than manipulate the action.

I could add a few birds to my score by going to another type action, but I'm not out to run 50-100 straight, I'm out to have fun with my favorite pump gun.
Old July 31, 2000, 09:17 PM   #4
K80Geoff

Last summer I volunteered to referee at a major sporting clays shoot. Great experience and I got to watch a lot of great shooters.

One character who I know from my travelling club was shooting what I took to be an auto. After he was finished he placed his gun in the station's rack and I saw to my amazement that it was a Remington Model 31 ( a contemporary of the winchester model 12)

While watching him shoot I absolutely did not see him pump, he was that quick. And the targets on my stand were a simo pair from separate traps crossing in front of the stand, you had to be very quick to get both, and he hit them all.

Quite a performance!

Geoff Ross

------------------
One reason to vote in the next Presidential election.

It's the Supreme Court, Stupid!
Old August 1, 2000, 03:43 PM   #5
Dead

I shot skeet with a Mossberg 500 pumpgun!!! Fun Fun Fun Fun! Got a few weird looks cuz everyone else was using O/U's

------------------
Dead [Black Ops]
Old August 1, 2000, 03:49 PM   #6
Ledbetter

I've been shooting trap for the last 6 or 8 weeks every Sunday with my Mossberg 590A1. No one at the the range even looks at me funny anymore. I think I'll put on the pistol grip next week.

Be safe, shoot happy,

Ledbetter