The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2016, 10:54 AM   #1
Chainsaw.

Well thats notvwhat I expected...

So I pulled a sail boat keil, chopped it in half, kept half and gave half to a friend, turned it into 5# ingots. The whole time i figured it was pure lead with a BHN of somewhere between 5-7. I just got my hardness tester, cast a few bullets from said ingots and got a BHN of.....13! Wow. I guess that lynotype I bought wont be getting used to much.

Moral of the story, dont guess.
Old April 13, 2016, 11:29 AM   #2
chris in va

Wow, talk about good luck. Wish those dive weights I bought were like that.
Old April 14, 2016, 10:37 PM   #3
nemesiss45

I had been about wondering this... I think a sailboat keel would keep me in lead for the rest of my natural life, and I have been thinking about how to go about finding one cheap or free. how did you end up with yours? any recommendation on the types of establishments that might have these taking up space?
Old April 15, 2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Chainsaw.

So Im the captain of a motor vessel called the Seahorse, she is both a landing craft and a crane scow. We contract with the Army corp of engineer's to snag logs and derilect vessels on the puget sound. Ive picked at lot of boats!
This one in particular was abandoned on one of the waiting walls for the locks, we picked it to set on one of the scrap barges, I noticed it was a solid keel, we had a few free minutes so I got to work. Let me tell you, its a chore. Thankfully we have several chainsaws which go through lead quite easily, just mind the bolts.

BUT, beware, Ive cut into a few keels in search and found a few different things, one being concrete, another being lead shot drowning in resin of some sort. I wouldn't even want to try to deal with that.
Old April 15, 2016, 08:30 AM   #5
nemesiss45

That's a convenient position to be in. I live out on the kitsap peninsula, so there are plenty of boats around, I'll just have to keep my ear to the ground. As I stands, I probably have enough lead to last me several years unless I start casting more, so it's no rush... I'd just like to get a stockpile at some point before the availability dries up too much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old April 15, 2016, 08:52 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
...another being lead shot drowning in resin of some sort. I wouldn't even want to try to deal with that.
If I had it, I would try burning...it seems to me the resin would burn and the lead would pool on the ground.
Old April 15, 2016, 09:55 AM   #7
Chainsaw.

Nemesis. Being around here your ahead of the curve given the boat culture in the area. You could always call pacific iron and metals but of course youd be paying for the lead then. I do deal with alot of marinas that have boats abandoned who would be happy to see a boat go away, but then again there is the whole issue of what to do with the boat.

Dahermit, you wouldn't want to try that around these parts, the greenies would soon know what you had for dinner last night.
Old April 15, 2016, 09:59 PM   #8
Ifishsum

Quote:
Dahermit, you wouldn't want to try that around these parts, the greenies would soon know what you had for dinner last night.
LOL that's for sure...you would have several calls to the police and/or press to out your extreme indifference to the environment and probably have your property declared toxic and uninhabitable. Not kidding either