The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 6, 2013, 10:53 PM   #1
mjblucci

Just got a NIB Remington 514 single shot .22lr (youth model)

So I added a scope to my cool little rifle and bore sighted it since I'm having trouble seeing small targets at even just 25 yards, the question remains; once I sight this thing in at 25 and then probably 75 yards, should I basically stick to the same ammo? (cci mini mags most likely as the rifle seems to like them the most) or could I still try different ammo and hope for the best like federal spitfires? Or these stinger rounds.I keep hearing about?

Kinda only just wondering if I should expect drastic differences between a few different brands an types...
Old January 6, 2013, 11:58 PM   #2
big al hunter

It's your gun, do what you want to.

As to different ammo, never know how it will do til you try. Thats half the fun of having a gun.

It has been my experience with 22's that most brands shoot to almost the same poa. However the group size can vary drastically.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Picher

I ruined my brother's 514 by shooting shorts in it and eroding the chamber, but I shot a lot of them. The extractor is a weak part of the design and mine failed to extract, after about a gazillion rounds.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:27 PM   #4
mr.t7024

Just got a NIB Remington 514 single shot .22lr (youth model)

you should try different brands to see what your rifle likes.I shoot CCI Standard Velocity or Remington Sub-Sonics. have fun. Cliff
Old January 9, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
mjblucci

I've heard about problems with the extractor on older models, not sure if they tackled that issue in the newer models. It sure loves those cci mini mags. And I just picked up a box of velocitors. Probably try the stingers too... But I think I'll go with the mini mags as a basis for sighting in te scope since a box of 100 is at a very fair price and it shoots very straight. The guy negus the counter highly recommended Winchester super-x as another high velocity round to try. Gotta say I'm not really a fan of the cci sub sonic quiet 22s but maybe I'll try them again just in case. It feels too much like a bb gun I suppose, but maybe if I get a pistol I'll change my mind about that. Who knows. Thanks for all te input guys. Definitely my Favorite forum sight ever!
Old January 9, 2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Picher

I was amazed at the accuracy of my 514, after mounting a 4x scope on it. It needed a side mount, due to the vertical bolt slot. I plinked and shot considerable small game with it, but don't recall grouping ability, since I never shot from a bench 'til later in life.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have my Father's Remington 521-T, which is in the same basic family.

In the 1980s I tried a WIDE range of ammo for it.

As expected some of the high-end (and expensive) target rounds from RWS, Eley, and Winchester performed very well...

But a real surprise was PMC Zapper, which turned in groups that were very close to the target ammo, and for about 1/3rd the price. I bought a bunch of bricks of that stuff and shot it for years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Ron T. B.

Rem 514

I have a 514 my dad ordered in 1955,1956? 10 years later when I was in high school I shot nickel sized 10 shot groups at 50 yds, with the bead front and U notch rear sight. Young eyes! I used what ever 22 LR ammo was cheapest. This rifle is interesting in that it has walnut stock with dark vertical stripes in the wood. It also has a very tough shiny finish, it came with a miltary type leather sling. I still have the rifle, reminds me of dad.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:41 PM   #9
SteelChickenShooter

Make a lot of copies of your own simple targets on plain paper.
Shop the stores as well as online to obtain at least 20 or more different kinds of ammo. Spend some time at the range firing off 5 rounds of each per target and you will come to see which ones group better. Weed out the poorer performers, then do more comparisons going out further in distance. I did this and found a couple particular brands that worked the very best. Then I went back to my favorite online catalog seller and bought a few bricks to use for my shooting season. Keep track of the brands while shooting and make written notes on the targets. Some might appear to be one-hole-wonders while others could be widely scattered. Buying one box of everything you can find can be a bit costly, but I think it is an excercise well worth it.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:26 AM   #10
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Clean the chamber

Shooting shorts doesn't erode the chamber . Shorts foul the chamber , and after enough of them , longer shells won't chamber at all . But first comes sticky extraction . Remove the fouling , and it will chamber everything again , with no more sticky extraction !
Old January 15, 2013, 06:12 AM   #11
Picher

Sorry, but mine WAS eroded by shorts. I cleaned it very carefully, but the 514s had very soft steel. Extraction was very difficult and finally, impossible with the extractor.

Tags
.22 , 514 , ammo , remington , scope