The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 7, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1
darkeye

Went hunting this morning...

So I hit the woods this morning with my buddy - first time we've got to go sense he got back from the sandbox - and man, was it COLD! Well, for SC anyway

So, 4 hours in the tree stand, and only squirrels and a turkey was to be seen... Was really hoping that we were going to get lucky on our first hunt this year

Well, this afternoon, I'm out with the wife, and he sends me a txt message, his neighbor went hunting this afternoon, was sitting in my tree stand, and bagged a doe! Punk... LOL

Oh well - it was fun anyway, and the season isn't over yet!
Old November 7, 2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Swampghost

I finished cleaning out a storage unit today. Would you have rather been with me? I can assure you that I would have preferred to be with you, deer or not.
Old November 7, 2009, 09:47 PM   #3
bambam1723

True...a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work
Old November 7, 2009, 09:54 PM   #4
bowtekhunter

i walked 6 miles in freazing rain to see just one doe from 4am to 6pm today....still better than work
Old November 8, 2009, 10:09 AM   #5
shortwave

Think I`ll set up in the backyard

. Got all excited about a certain buck I`ve been scouting. Didn`t sleep much Fri. night thinking of where to set up for Sat. morning. Since its late pre-rut here I`m thinking 'does'. Where are they(does) going to be? Where is that monster buck going to be chasing/scent checking the does? What major trail predominately used by does will that big guy be crossing and scent checking? You get the pics! Got up and was on stand about 30 min. before daylight. Daylight came, the woods woke up and I started a fine melody of rattling and using various calling techniques sure to bring in my trophy. Brought in a young, basket racked 7 pt. that hung out so long I eventually named him. After a long but beautiful day of hunting, I came down out of my stand and walked back to the house in the dark. Undressed on the deck and walked into the house to an aroma of dinner fit for a king(wife,being a country girl, cooks to the point that your gums will beat your brains out). I wasn`t at the house 15 minutes till the dog let out a grumble alerting me something was outside. I immediately get a flashlight and go to the side window. Low-n-behold, my monster buck(along with two does) is standing in the garden plot not more than 30 yds from the house. Maybe he smelled wife`s good cooking .