The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2009, 11:39 PM   #1
rosco.217

Lee Classic Cast Single Stage vs. Classic Cast Turret

I plan on reloading for .223 and .22-250. I was also planning on buying a .45acp in the near future. I was wondering if the turret press would work well for reloading the .223 and .22-250 accurately or if there would be too much play in the turret set up. I am relatively new to reloading so any advice would help. Thanks.
Old March 16, 2009, 12:06 AM   #2
TK6411

I've got a single stage press, a Lee Load Master Progressive Press and a Lee Turret press and reload .357 mag, .44 mag, 45 ACP, 30-06, .223 and haven't noticed any issues between the single stage or the other presses. I love the Lee Turret Press and could not be any happier. In fact I prefer the turret over my Lee Progressive LoadMaster press. I love its simplicity and the reliability even more than the Loadmaster, where the auto indexing is its weak area. The auto indexing in the Lee Turret press is much more reliable and its a joy to use.

I would highly recommend the Lee Turret Press (the classic is a heavy duty version and even nicer).

Jim
Old March 16, 2009, 01:20 AM   #3
Sevens

I have the Lee Classic Cast.
I would not buy a Classic Turret to replace it, because I don't load semi-progressive. When I'm flaring case mouths, I'm flaring like 300 of them, I'm not doing one case mouth and then charging with powder and then seating a bullet. So I wouldn't "upgrade" to a Classic Turret.

But if I had no press, or a weak press, I would probably buy the Classic Turret now rather than the Classic Cast.

If money were the issue, I'd be fine with a Classic Cast. (I -am- fine with it!)

If quality is the only issue, no difference between the two. If you want the Classic Turret, it's a good one, go get it.

I hope you can actually find one!
Old March 16, 2009, 08:00 AM   #4
SL1

This thread interests me because I am a single-stage press user that is considering going "semi-progressive"

Sevens wrote:
Quote:
When I'm flaring case mouths, I'm flaring like 300 of them, I'm not doing one case mouth and then charging with powder and then seating a bullet.
Well, so do I NOW. But, for higher volume reloading, I would be inclined to take washed brass and decap, size and flare those 300 cases before going away from the press to seat primers (with a hand tool) and charge powder (before inspecting BATCHES of loaded cases). Not having to insert and remove each case THREE times with the single stage press, compared to ONE time with the turret seems like a significant advantage to me. The same thing happens again when I seat bullets and crimp.

Because I consider the hands-on inspections at the priming and charging stages to be critical for safety, I am not planning on going to a full progressive, even for my autoloader cartridges.

So, I was glad to read that the autoindexing on the Lee Turret is good.

SL1
Old March 16, 2009, 08:12 AM   #5
rwilson452

As the owner of three Lee presses, the Classic Cast, the Classic Turret and the LoadMaster. I can say the Turret is my choice for .223. I load the rest of my rifle ammo on the Classic Cast as I go slow and inspect everything at every step and trickle charge every powder drop. I use the Loadmaster for large runs of established pistol ammo and use the Turret for smaller runs of stuff I want to try out. I have loaded 30-06 on a turret as it was my first press. the turret will load consistent, accurate rifle ammo.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Sevens

Quote:
This thread interests me because I am a single-stage press user that is considering going "semi-progressive"
I was just talking about this very subject in PMs with another fellow.

For my buck, I like the way I handle my powder charging and my bullet seating, one at a time. The sizing/flaring/priming is something I would like to speed up.

I've thought about it a lot. A Turret press does save you from handling the brass, but it doesn't reduce the number of lever pulls you need to make. So for me, it's just not worth it, IMO.

The way I could really see me going is to grab a used or abused cheap progressive, obviously going to be a Lee machine, because nobody else makes a cheap progressive, and set it up simply to resize, prime, and flare cases, and continuing to do my powder charging and bullet seating as I do now, on my classic cast.

The advantage here is obvious-- each lever pull will be doing three things. I would rather handle more brass and cut my lever pulls in half then to simply have an auto (or manual!) turret press.

But as I said... if I were still working with a more flimsy press (I previously got many good years from a VERY low priced "2001" Challenger model), I would likely upgrade to the Classic Turret. But I don't feel the need to swap out my Classic Cast for one.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:54 AM   #7
SL1

I agree with Sevens that a stripped-down progressive would be even faster than a turret for doing decap/size/flare operations and seat/crimp operations with batches of cases. But, TK6411 said that the indexing is the weak link on the Lee Loadmaster, and it is better on Lee's Turret. So, I am wondering if I would be just buying myself more trouble to get a Lee Loadmaster for what I want to use it for. That is especailly true for a USED Lee press - - would I be buying somebody else's lemon?

Anybody know of another option for a stripped-down progressive press?

SL1
Old March 16, 2009, 09:15 AM   #8
RidgwayCO

I've got both the Classic Cast single-stage and the Classic Cast Turret presses, and wouldn't trade them for anything. They're both strong, well-aligned, easy to mount, and dispose of fired primers in a clean and efficient manner. In fact, I plan on selling my old RCBS RCII when I get the chance, just because the Classic Cast handles used primers better.

Plus they're made in America, not communist China.

I use my Classic Cast Turret for reloading all of my revolver and pistol rounds, plus my .22 Hornet and .223 Remington rounds. It works great for these, as it's very easy to see inside the case after the powder drop stage to ensure that the right amount of powder is actually in the case (I've affixed one of those flex-neck l.e.d. lights so that the inside of each case is illuminated). And I've really come to appreciate the Pro Auto-Disk powder measure with the fixed cavities. It works well in the "double-disk" configuration for the .223 as well.

Since I'm not a high volume .30-06 shooter, I use the Classic Cast single-stage to load my hunting .30-06 loads, with a PACT powder dispenser delivering the precise powder amount I need.

And SL1, my process for using the Classic Cast Turret is to decap my dirty brass using a universal decapping die, give the primer pockets a quick hit with a primer pocket uniformer to clean them out, then clean and polish in a vibratory tumbler, and then check the flash holes are clean before storing the brass for later use. Then when I'm ready to load, I first prime the brass using an RCBS hand priming unit, and then run each piece through the turret press, sizing, then flaring and dropping powder, then seating a bullet, and finally crimping. Pretty quick, efficient, and safe (as it's easy to see the actual amount of powder that's been dropped). I could go back to single-stage batch processing of handgun rounds, but I sure wouldn't want to!

Last edited by RidgwayCO; March 16, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old March 16, 2009, 10:25 AM   #9
rosco.217

Thanks for the feedback. I need to buy a set of .22-250 dies and was thinking about buying the RCBS neck sizing and seater die and buying a LEE full length sizing die to size new brass. I was also considering just buying the LEE deluxe three die set that includes a neck and full length sizing die as well as a seating die. If the LEE dies will do a good job id just assume save thirty or so bucks buying the three die set.
Old March 16, 2009, 11:29 AM   #10
mrayw

lee dies

I am a fan of RCBS and hate to steer people away from them. That said for the money I am huge fan of Lee dies and the classic turret is great for the money. Classic turret is simple and easy to use. Now the RCBS PRO 2000, that is a great progressive.
Old March 16, 2009, 12:04 PM   #11
under_dawg

The Lee Classic Turret can be used as a single stage or will auto-index depending how how you waould like to use it. I use the auto-index for pistol rounds, and the single stage mode for rifle. It is quite versatlile.
Old March 16, 2009, 12:58 PM   #12
SL1

I'm not seeing the Classic Cast Turret on Lee's Factory Sales website. Is it still available?

SL1
Old March 16, 2009, 02:10 PM   #13
rosco.217

Im not sure I was just looking off of midways website It does say that it is out of stock and that it would be on back order. So it is possible that it isn't.
Old March 16, 2009, 03:00 PM   #14
DaveInGA

My suggestion to anyone considering the two presses the OP posted about is to buy both. Neither one is expensive and with owning both of them, you get great versatility in your reloading. I also suggest buying the Classic turret fully outfitted with safety prime system and Pro Auto Disk powder measure. In addition, adding the Hornady LnL bushing system to the Lee Classic Cast single stage makes it a much more versatile press. Finally, add the Hornady LnL case activated powder drop combined with an RCBS Uniflow for rifle powders with your Classic Turret while using the Pro Auto Disk powder measure and a riser for pistol.

The above two presses give huge versatility to the average reloader and will meet most of their needs for years without a huge investment initially. Once you've learned on those two presses, consider a progressive if the shooting demand is high enough.

Regards,

Dave
Old March 16, 2009, 03:22 PM   #15
rosco.217

I would like to be able to buy both but being in college makes for a tight budget. Right now im just looking for the one that will be the most versatile for the next couple of years.
Old March 16, 2009, 04:20 PM   #16
CrustyFN

The deciding factor might be how much ammo you need and how much time you have to reload. On the classic single stage you can figure around 50 rounds per hour. On the classic turret you can figure 150 to 200 per hour, most people load closer to 200 per hour. I don't think you could go wrong with either press. Check out the classic turret kit at www.kempfgunshop.com. I load 223 on the classic turret and am very happy with the quality.
Rusty
Old March 16, 2009, 05:10 PM   #17
benzuncle

I use my LCT press as both a single stage and a turret press. When I load 357sig, I size the 40 SW portion of the casing with a die in one of the 4 holes of a 4-hole turret. When I've finished sizing them, I swap out the turret with the turret that has the 357sig dies in it. I also load 45acp and 380acp. When I first began loading, I ran through each step in the single stage mode to acquaint myself with the process. Once I was confident of what I was doing and what the press was doing, I set the auto index rod in place and began using it as a semi-progressive. The comments by DaveInGa about the Safety Prime System and the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure is very good advice. I would also consider spending another $10 and add the Charge Bar to that equation. I would also mention that 45acp is an easy round to reload and a very good confidence builder. Have you given any thought to starting with that caliber?
Old March 16, 2009, 05:53 PM   #18
rwilson452

I would say go with the Classic Turret. It will be your best bang for your buck.

Quote:
I would like to be able to buy both but being in college makes for a tight budget. Right now im just looking for the one that will be the most versatile for the next couple of years.
Old March 16, 2009, 05:58 PM   #19
rosco.217

I don't turn 21 until september and in the great state of illinois you have to be 21 to buy anything that has to do with a pistol. Once a lady at the local walmart refused to sell me .22 LONG RIFLE ammunition because she said that I could use it in a pistol. I even tried to explain to her that I was going to use it in my 10/22 to go squirrel hunting. The point of all that was that I am going to buy a .45 acp this fall and was just thinking in advance.