The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2016, 06:42 AM   #26
F. Guffey

Quote:
purchasing of this tools
I am thinking the link covered all of the tools, that leaves the difference between this and these. And then; as most know I have trouble bumping, moving and setting the shoulder back because my shoulders do not move. And I am the fan of all the bullet hold I can get; I am the fan of transfers and standards.

And then there is the 'by now'; by now it should be understood my cases do not have head space, my cases have a length. With the length I off set the length of the chamber with the length of the case.

To promote thinking; how does a reloader set up/adjust the seating die with the tools posted on the Hornady link?

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; June 8, 2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old June 8, 2016, 07:03 AM   #27
F. Guffey

And then we have to back again; the M1 Garand used the same ammo that was used by the 03 Springfield and the M1917. Meaning the auto feeder did not use small base ammo.

If a reloader is reloading ammo for an auto feed rifle I suggest they make/purchase a chamber gage. I have chamber gages, none of them are store bought/purchased. I am not too proud to use a barrel that is a take off or new. I know, that makes for a very long gage. Before turning a barrel into a tomato stake I cut shorten it with a band saw and then use the short end as a chamber gage.

F. Guffey
Old June 8, 2016, 11:07 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

Dahermit,

I suspect he meant the case comparator inserts instead. The same adapter works with both, and you can get just the inserts.

You can also do it yourself, though the comparator insert does make it a little less wobbly to handle:

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 8, 2016, 11:23 AM   #29
F. Guffey

And then it has to be said it is not easy to transfer the measurements because of the nature of something that is case friendly. If the tool is case friendly use the tool as a comparator.

Again, I am the fan of transfers and standards. It is not easy to get an accurate reading from a tool with a radius; the L.E. Wilson case gage had a datum with a radius for the sake of being case friendly. They use a standard when grinding the length of the gage from the datum with a radius to the top of the case gage and bottom of the case gage.

F. Guffey