The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 28, 1998, 03:31 PM   #1
Rodmann

Has anyone installed a Knight's MWS, Modular Weapon System on an HK? I've noticed that its now available for various HKs and I was thinking of installing on my 94. Seems like it will add some weight to the front end but I like the idea of the vertical foregrip, surefire mt. and optics mount
Old October 28, 1998, 06:43 PM   #2
Hilton

I'm not sure if you've handled any of the M4/CAR-15's with the Rail Interface System on them, but I personally dislike the "hangs everything AND the kitchen sink" rails, as they make a nice lightweight gun into a big muzzle heavy club with too much gear on it. On an MP5, the K style grip with light mount has been used by some teams in the past, and it can be done using much lighter weight components than the RIS. Same goes for the optics, which would balance the gun better back over the receiver.
Old November 12, 1998, 03:08 PM   #3
grogers

I've handled the RIS/RAS for both Colt and HK series rifle/carbines and I'm
in total agreement with Hilton. Unless you
absolutely need to saddle your firearm with
alot of debris the RIS system is best avoided.
Old November 17, 1998, 11:46 AM   #4
Harry Humphries
Staff Alumnus

I've just returned from the SWAT Roundup in Orlando. Reed Knight invited me over to the plant for the cooks tour and I've got to tell you that he has set up one of the finest production facilities I've ever seen. The MWS is in full production along with his new Stoner, my favorite, and his 308 M-16 on steroids.

One great advantage to the design is the increased surface area of the forstock which affords a significant increase in cooling capacity. The multi mount capability is not for everyone but for those that find comfort in mounting various sighting and lighting aids it does allow great flexibility.