The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2000, 09:10 AM   #1
Yanus

Guys, I am looking for some cast bullet loads for a 16" 30-30 that I am considering. I am thinking of using OT Lazercast 170gr. bullets. Anybody have any experience using cast bullets with short barrel rifles? Thanks.

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor injury. Machiavelli
"Stay alive with a 45"
Old October 24, 2000, 10:56 AM   #2
bedlamite

I have done some work with lead bullets in the 30-30, WIth a 170 gr bullet, try 6-8 gr of Red Dot, 7-9 gr of Unique, 9-11 gr of Blue dot, or 14-16 gr of H4227. With a 16" barrel, you can expect velocities of 1100-1400 fps and 3-4 MOA, any faster and you will have a ton of lead to clean out of the barrel and terrible accuracy.

------------------
NRA, GOA
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"-Neil Peart
Vote in November.
Old October 24, 2000, 11:18 AM   #3
Yanus

Thanks. It doesn't appear to be worth the trouble to use cast. I know you can buy Rem jacketed bullets in bulk from Midway and Wideners. I think I will steer clear of cast for the 30-30.

------------------
"Stay alive with a 45"
Old October 24, 2000, 02:31 PM   #4
Paul B.

Yanus. You can use cast lead bullet loaded all the way up to factory 170 gr. bullet levels. I've hunted deer with them for years.
I can't say how well the commercial bullets will work, but my own homemade bullets work fine.
Paul B.
Old October 24, 2000, 10:25 PM   #5
zot

pauls right,I use a Lee 160 gr, gas checked
hard cast bullet for 7.62x39mm in AKs and SKS
with top loads with 2000 fps and they don't
lead much unless ya empty 30 rds fast, very
accurate and will drop a deer with a head shot thru and thru,gut shots will just zip
thru no expansion. I've put holes in 1/4 inch
stell plates at 50 yards. paul you used to be
at another site I posted about this,Elmer
Keith shot hard cast in steer that I beleive
came out the rear from a head shot using his
250 gr. GC lead bullet, and that was from a
S&W .44 special, making your own or buying cast bullets is alot cheaper than any jacketed bullet.and they are great for plinking in reduced loads.
Old October 25, 2000, 06:49 AM   #6
Yanus

Thanks for the additional input. I may try some OT bullets. They are not GC, but the velocity from a 16" should slow it down enough to not lead.

------------------
"Stay alive with a 45"
Old October 25, 2000, 12:46 PM   #7
OKshot

I shot that same LaserCast bullet for the first time Sunday along with some other Lee- and RCBS-moulded bullets I was comparing for accuracy from my Savage 99F in .308 (22" barrel). The LaserCast bullet is shaped to take a gas check just like the other two, so I just tapped some checks onto them for consistency's sake. Seated to just below the top lube ring, they shot the same as the others--very well, with no leading--over 18 grains of 2400.

Try them as-is and let us know how they do. You can always gas check them and go for high velocity without any problem, I feel.

Old October 25, 2000, 01:20 PM   #8
NRC

Yanus -

National Bullet Company has hardcast 30.30 bullets which have been 'copperized'. (http://www.nationalbullet.com/41-1.html) Not jacketed, but lightly coated to reduce leading. Cost for 165g is $43.50 per 500, plus shipping. I haven't used them in a rifle - But they seem to work great in a handgun. Might be worth a shot.

NRC

------------------
Train hard.
Old October 25, 2000, 01:48 PM   #9
Yanus

Thanks, guys. I will take a look at the National Bullet Co website before I buy anything. Right now I am undecided between a 20" Win Ranger and a 16" Win Trapper. Believe it or not, the Trapper is $35 higher than the Ranger! Go figure.

------------------
"Stay alive with a 45"
Old October 25, 2000, 04:56 PM   #10
Big Bunny

Trappers are always are more expensive ! But are harder to shoot accurately due to blast and shorter sighting radius we find here.
Try using linotype(hard) lead alloy projectiles -anything other can be very messy indeed.

I'd go [IMHO] with the good old Ranger with a walnut stock and aperture sight... certainly without that silly new 'PC' push "safety bar"!

Happy levering!!!

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old October 26, 2000, 07:45 AM   #11
Yanus

Bunny, thanks.
I think you are right about the Ranger. My 44 yr old eyes need all the sight radius they can get! I sure would like to find somebody who has loaded the OT Lazer 170gr. to standard velocity. Due to the funky alloy they use, I don't think you would have a leading problem. Adding a GC might help, but that adds to the cost and defeats one of the advantages of shooting cast, ie. cost.

------------------
"Stay alive with a 45"
Old October 26, 2000, 10:42 AM   #12
sundog

Yanus, I'm shooting Lyman 31141's (170 gr fp) with gas check and homemade lube in a pre 64 M94 at over 2000 fps with accuracy acceptable for hunting and no leading. If you're buying lead bullets, cost is apparently not a factor, so one point five cents for a gas check should be of little concern for the return of accuracy and velocity. Harder lead (which is what a lot of the commercial guys do) is not always the answer to reducing barrel leading, there are many factors including concentricity, throat configuration, bullet shape and size and seating depth. Also, harder lead, especially if more brittle may not be the best for expansion as in a hunting round. Like Paul B. properly fit home cast can be pushed purdy hard. sundog

------------------
safety first
Old October 26, 2000, 11:27 AM   #13
DaMan

Yanus, I use a lot of lead bullets in the .30-30 for fun plinking on metal targets. I use the 165gr. RNFP which are available in both .309" and .310" dia. These are non-gas check designs that have a 16 BHN. These are about $38 per 1,000 from Mid-Kansas Cast Bullet, Inc ($10.95 for 250).

You can drive these bullets up to 1,450fps without excess leading. But I like them at about 1250 fps. Bedlamites load recommendations will work fine with this bullet. I like Unique!

Get one of those "duelling trees" designed for centerfire pistol and place it at 50yds. BIG FUN! YeeHaa!

If a bullet is designed for a gas check, you should use a gas check or accuracy will suffer!

I don't recommend any lead bullet for hunting medium game with the .30-30. Yes, I know it can be done! But I don't recommend it!

Lead is cool!

Regards! DaMan

Old October 26, 2000, 12:15 PM   #14
Yanus

All of this input has given rise to some more ideas. That's what I like about this site. I have cast other rifle bullets in the past, but the apt I am living in currently doesn't lend itself to casting! And with the good prices of cast bullets on the market, it is becoming hard to justify the trouble and mess. I may just try the OT Lazer bullets and add a GC to it. I have my bullet sizer set up so that would not be a problem. Let's keep this thread going. Any additional ideas may help others here as well. Thanks again.

------------------
"Stay alive with a 45"
Old October 26, 2000, 12:31 PM   #15
Paul B.

Yanus. I would definitely use gas checks on bullets designed for checks. They are important, not only for accuracy, but will reduce the possibility of leading when using full power type loads.
Paul B.
Old October 26, 2000, 01:33 PM   #16
Yanus

Paul, I agree. The GC prevents flame melt of the bullet's base. You would think that OT would put a GC on their gas check designed bullets. I use GC bullets in a 44mag and have never had any leading whatsoever.

------------------
"Stay alive with a 45"