The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 6, 2008, 09:56 PM   #1
squarepeg

Looking for my 1st IWB

I am going to be new to carrying as soon as I can find a holster. But right now that is my problem, I don't know a lot of options out there. I was looking into one, but after reading a dozen bad reviews, I dont think I want to spend money on it. I am interested in an IWB with a forward cant. I plan on carrying it somewhere from 3 to 5 oclock on the body. Also having the option to allow my shirt to be tucked in would be very benificial because I tend to tuck even my Tshirts as a force of habit. For the record, I have a S&W 3914 3.5" barrel and it holds 8 rnds to give you an idea of the size I am using.

PS: If you think that this has been discussed too much and I should keep searching by myself, I apologize.
Old May 6, 2008, 10:25 PM   #2
OnTheFly

Check out the Minotaur MTAC by Comp-Tac.

It has a strong following.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old May 7, 2008, 11:33 PM   #3
N-frame Smith

I'm afraid you may have a tough time finding many holster options for your compact S&W. It's not a common model and there's not that many good holsters made for it, unless you go custom. Most of the factory holsters I've seen offered for it are of the generic and/or cheap type that fit lots of guns.

I know for a fact that Nate at UBG Holsters www.ubgholsters.com has a mold for a 3913, which would work for your gun. His Canute IWB is top notch but it's not tuckable. Here's a picture of one he made for my S&W 39.

Old May 8, 2008, 12:36 AM   #4
Nnobby45

VMII

Milt Sparks' Versa Max II can be used with Kydex clips instead of the standard snap loops.

The hooks on the clips are designed to grip the seams on the wasteband of your pants and don't attach to the belt.

The belt conceals the clips and allows you to tuck in your shirt.

The folks at MS would likely be happy to discuss it with you.

You can have the snap loops, also. Not that hard to change from one set up to the other.
Old May 8, 2008, 08:06 AM   #5
squarepeg

Thanks for this recomendations so far. I have also been told about crossbread holsters and high noon holsters, so I do have some options, just not as much as if I had a glock or other current production gun.Keep the recomendations comming as I won't be making a decision on this for another week or two.
Old May 9, 2008, 12:24 AM   #6
Nnobby45

My favorite holsters are made by Matt Del Fatti. Fortunately, for me, I put in a number of orders before he was quite as famous as he is now. The wait will be longer, but he'll acutally chat with you and find a way to meet your needs.

Milt Sparks are my next favorites, but they don't modify them for individual needs. I prefer the Executive Companion and the VM 2. Both IWB's.

The Milt Sparks BN type holster is the Avenger STYLE and the BN refers to the late Bruce Nelson, who created the Avenger and Summer Special IWB and set in motion quite a trend, since most IWB's are a take off of his original design.

The Avenger, is a style (not necessarily a specific holster) characterized by belt slot at the rear of the holster and another belt slot on a small "wing" that allows the holster to be drawn close to the body. Depending on how it lines up on your pants, the belt can go thru a slot, belt loop, and the second slot.

Not as good as the IWB or FBI (pancake, OWB) for concealment, but quite functional, none the less. Excellent open carry holster. Good concealment holster. I have "Avengers" by both M. Sparks, and Del Fatti.
Old May 9, 2008, 03:19 PM   #7
cschwanz

I've heard good things about crossbreed (www.crossbreedholsters.com) and will probably be getting one(or maybe more) in the near future. theya re handmade and custom fit to whatever gun you specify.
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old May 9, 2008, 06:35 PM   #8
starshooter231

Some others to check out are:

Galco
Fist inc
nm-holsters.com (custom and affordable)
Old May 12, 2008, 01:50 PM   #9
remshooter

Also the DeSantis Tuck This is fairly good for about 25 bucks. You can tuck your shirt in with it. Its not a top of the line but its not bad for the money.
Old May 12, 2008, 05:24 PM   #10
2cooltoolz

I own a Comp-Tac Minotaur and a High Noon "Alter Ego" for my Kahr MK9. Both are very comfortable, easy to carry, tuckable holsters. The minotaur has a forward cant, the Alter Ego straight drop. I don't know if they make models for your gun, I have the same problem with my OOP S&W CS45. Good luck on your search. By the way, a friendly email to the manufacturers usually generates good, if not speedy, answers.
A really cool feature of the Minotaur is the modularity of it. There are several types of clips available, but even cooler, you can buy Kydex shells for different guns for $35 each so as you buy new guns......

The High Noon "Alter Ego"

The Comp-Tac Minotaur

Old May 12, 2008, 07:03 PM   #11
oldandslow

squarepeg, 5/13/08

You have picked a nice pistol to carry. I also have one of the SW 3914's, among other SW 3rd generation pistols, and they all are reliable and accurate.
I use a Fist IWB which works out great. Check their website at www.fist-inc.com. They make holsters for the 3913 which should be the same size as the 3914. I have many Fist holsters and rather that order one special for my 3914 I use a Fist holster for my Sig- 239. It fits perfect. Fist delivers a good product at a reasonable price and minimal wait time compared to some of the other holster manufacturers. Good luck in your search.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old May 13, 2008, 04:41 PM   #12
DWARREN123

If you find one you want see if the following site has it, very good products and prices
WWW.GUNNERSALLEY.COM
Old May 16, 2008, 09:13 AM   #13
JeffLrrp

You may be able to find a Bianchi Model 100 professional that works with your particular gun. When I got mine for my 2" Model 10 I noticed that fit wasn't outstanding because the holster can fit many different models. Still a really decent holster though.
Old May 16, 2008, 09:07 PM   #14
BerettaFox

I have a $10 "Quest" brand holster I got from my local gun shop. I love it. You could probably find it on the internet.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:48 AM   #15
bdcbbq

Look over Black Hills Holster. I bought the IWB/OWB scabbard holsters as my first holster. My thought was that I can carry both ways depending upon the situation and I could see which way I would prefer. It works well for me. I carry a full size Walther P99 and have no problems concealing it either way. Price is reasonable as is turn around time. Mine is in black. I've also bought two belts and they are also great.