The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2007, 10:52 PM   #26
Don H

I have an older progressive press. The only plastic part is the ball on the end of the handle. This is a major reason why I have no interest in "upgrading".
Old December 16, 2007, 11:11 PM   #27
Chief-7700

of plastic, small pieces, etc. etc.

It is true, the weakest link in any machine will shut one down for a penny part. There has got to be a better way to build one of these things.

Reloading today and all of a sudden it would not advance more than about 1/2 the way up......so I stop look around and see that the shell plate stopped just short of a complete turn. I let it down, unload and again would stop just short of a full turn. Then I notice the ring indexer hanging at a funny angle, I read down to grasp it and I have it in my hand, broken piece of plastic. I get the book out to find out to replace it, (I have the spare part kit which had one.....first clue)....now I can't get the stupid thing back on and I find at least another spring is missing and another part -- the indexer spring pin-- is gone and not even sure what it looks like, no doubt flew off when it broke. Somewhere in my garage hiding amongst the stuff.

For all the metal in this thing, why they put plastic parts in this thing is beyond me. Guess I'll drive up the place where I bought it and have him fix it.......piss me off. I'm no longer a fan of dillon, certainly not gonna brag on them anymore. I'm shut down all for a nickle part.....................ck

Then sell it on Junk Bay and buy a cheap LEE, stop complining you bought the best press with the best customer service on the market.
Chief
Old December 17, 2007, 10:14 AM   #28
jmorris

The good thing is you’ve got a Dillon 650 and want something else, here is what to do. Send it back to Dillon and have them refurbish it (this was no charge when I did it and they paid for shipping back to me). Now go to almost any forum (brianenos.com) is probably the highest volume for Dillon stuff and you can sell your 650 for almost what it cost new. Take the money from that sale and buy the machine you want.
Old December 21, 2007, 07:50 PM   #29
ocharry

you know back in the old days when i shot cowboy stuff,,, lots of guys were getting the 650 and there was a lot of bitchin about primer feed and rotating tables and all kinds of stuff

i am sure glad i bought the 550,, it has loaded i wouldn't begin to count the thousands of shells and it just keeps kickin them out

but then i have an old mec 650 that has loaded through the trap days and skeet years and sporting clays runs and it still just keeps kickin them out

to much automatic stuff and in my opinion it will get fowled or broken

hope you will give mike a chance and stick with the blue,, i know he will make it right

good luck clayking,,,, hope you get it fixed and running smooth again

by the way MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you guys and gals out there

ocharry
Old December 23, 2007, 11:33 PM   #30
kgpcr

Buy a hornady and never look back!! they are far and away a better value!! Easier to change over to another caliber and far cheaper. I have had several friends who now own a Hornady after selling thier Dillon
Smith M&P 40