The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 1, 2007, 07:19 PM   #76
support_six

Sitting down inside a rock outcropping watching the opposite hillside in northern Utah. From a distance, uphill from me, I hear a sound best described as that made by a baby rattle! As it gets louder, and closer, I hear the voices of two males talking quietly to each other. Since there are not going to be any deer anywhere around these two mutts, I stand up and ask them what the rattle is. Here are two immaculately groomed Californians, new clothes from Gander Mountain, new rifles, and each is carrying two aluminum canteens. They informed me that one canteen was for water and the other was very handy for carrying M&M's! I asked them (wanting to laugh out loud) if they had seen any deer. They told me there were no deer in these hills – they hadn't seen even one all day, and they were going back to camp!
Old August 1, 2007, 09:03 PM   #77
kickshot85

support_six,

That's not funny. I mean, where do you keep your M&M's when you hunt. I personally favor keeping them in my snake bite kit, just throw the rest of that useless crap away. What are the odds you'll get bitten by a snake while hunting? Nil. What are the odds you'll start craving that melt in your mouth not in your hands chocately goodness? Yeah, it's a given.
Old August 1, 2007, 09:07 PM   #78
fisherman66

I snack on the raisinettes I find on the trail.
Old August 1, 2007, 09:22 PM   #79
FirstFreedom

Quote:
and the other was very handy for carrying M&M's! I asked them (wanting to laugh out loud) if they had seen any deer. They told me there were no deer in these hills
lol, that's classic. Mmm, raisonettes - deer or rabbit sized snacks?
Old August 4, 2007, 09:32 PM   #80
HiBC

This is pretty dumb.

Old fellow with a Savage 99 in .250 savage walked through my stand and set up about 40 yds from me,where I was expecting the elk to come from.
Annoyed,but with defference to age,I got up and moved without saying anything,but not too far.
Soon I heard a shot from where he was.Curious,I wandered over.Amazingly,he wounded the elk and it escaped.He said "Where did you come from? I told him I was right there when he walked over me.Now,he was facing me,holding the rifle in one hand,with the muzzle pointing at me.So I walked off to the side.He turned to face me.I said "That is twice you pointed your muzzle at me,that is why I stepped aside."
(The punch line) He said,"Don't worry,its not loaded."

I wouldn't hit an old guy.I walked away.
Old August 4, 2007, 11:21 PM   #81
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I snack on the raisinettes I find on the trail.
:barf: <--Click on me to hear John's response.