The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2014, 02:38 AM   #1
Knight14

Need help with IMR PB load

I just started reloading and need some advice. Here is my equipment list -
1. Glock 17 Gen 3
2. Lee Pro 1000 9mm
3. IMR PB Powder
4. CCI primers
5. Berry's 124 grain RN plated bullets
6. Once fired casings

I was not able to find data specific to my powder/bullet combo but the manual that came with the press suggested 2.9 - 3.3 grains of IMR PB for 125 grain lead bullets. I loaded with 3.2 grains of powder and while the loads shot fine, the gun didn't cycle and neither did the casings expand and the firing left a residue on the casings. So I don't think I put enough powder in.

My question is what would be a good powder load for my combo? IMR's website lists the following for Berry's 124 grain HBRN TP -

IMR PB .356" 1.150" 3.8 889 26,000 PSI 4.4 1,023 32,800 PSI.

Since my bullets are solid base, can I use the same data as hollow base?
Old March 25, 2014, 07:22 PM   #2
papershotshells

Yes, I would feel comfortable using the IMR data for the hollow base bullet with your bullet. While bullet type IS important in load data, even within the same weight, I don't think you'll encounter any problems. Especially if you use standard load work up procedures and start with minimum (or near minimum) loads and work up from there.

In my experience with 9mms, and particularly Glocks, I have found that it sometimes takes loads nearer maximum than minimum to cycle the action. Having said that, you should always start at minimum loads and work towards maximum loads, loading a few test loads at each charge weight, until you find a load that cycles your gun and shoots well.

I have no experience with PB powder in the 9mm, but in your situation I would probably load loads at 4.0, 4.2 & 4.4 grains for testing. One (or more) of those should cycle your Glock.

BTW, the residue on your fired cases isn't an absolute indicator of low pressure, many powder/bullet combos will leave dirty cases, but EXCESSIVE residue on fired cases certainly MAY indicate less than desirable pressures.

Papershotshells