The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 9, 2013, 01:28 AM   #1
justplainpossum

The Judge

I was at the gun store today getting Pac grips for my Ruger .357, and while the man was putting them on I browsed the gun area, and there was the Judge. I've heard a lot about it recently from a neighbor. I don't quite get the idea of loading both 45 ammo and snake shells; I mean, what if you need to shoot one or the other real quickly, how would you know which bullet is coming up next?

This one had a laser on it, which was kind of trippy. I asked the man behind the counter if that wouldn't be sort of like cheating, and he laughed and said no.

Does anyone here own the Judge? What do you think of it?
Old March 9, 2013, 02:07 AM   #2
alex0535

It is a revolver that has its uses and it appeals to a lot of people.

I do not own a judge, but I have never had a problem with my Taurus revolver. Some people just are not fans of the company. I have been given no reason to feel that way.

If I had one, for home protection purposes I would keep it loaded with 000 buck shot, or Winchester PDX1 which is 3 disk that hit in a triangle pattern and 12 bb's that hit around it. 000 buck patterns well at home/self defense ranges.

I would shoot .45's out of it when I would be unable to find or unwilling to pay for .410 shells which are in my opinion expensive for what they are.

Any sort of smaller .410 shot would make a great snake gun if the individual were in rattlesnake country and more concerned about that type of wildlife more than others. If I were worried about mountain lion or bear, 000 buck would probably be effective on killing it/making it change its mind on eating you.

Last edited by alex0535; March 9, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:15 AM   #3
jimbob86

Don't own one.

Shot my Uncle's.

Performance with birdshot was terrible: pattern was 4x4 at 10 feet, with big gaps in it (especially right in the middle).

Performance with .45 LC was not stellar.

There are better SD revolvers out there for less money. They are smaller, hold more rounds, and give better terminal ballistics than the Judge offers.

....and none of them had Taurus' stupid watermellons in a parking garage ad video.......
Old March 9, 2013, 06:21 AM   #4
artoo

justplainpossum.

Please check your PMs.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Ozzieman

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515275

Good reading on this thread

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 9, 2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

I have a Judge Public Defender Poly. The Polymer framed, short barreled, smaller grip model. I can't understand the report of a four foot pattern @ 10 feet with bird shot. Mine produces a snake proof pattern of 7 1/2 shot at 10-15 feet consistantly. It also shoots a 2-3 INCH group at 10 yards, off hand, with winchester PDX 1 225 gr. 45 Colt rounds. It produces a 3-4" pattern to point of aim @ 10 yds with Federal Premium Handgun 000 Buckshot loads as well.
It serves me well as a truck gun, anti carjacking device, loaded with 2 000 buckshot loads up first, followed by 3 45 Colt rounds. It also doubles as snake protection while searching the woods for morels, and picking blackberries.
Thirdly, it's just plain fun to shoot.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 9, 2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Seaman

Don't own one, but shot one, a steel version, and (agree with Cheapshooter) it is surprisingly accurate out to 7 yds/21 feet. People are now CCing them.

As much as I like S&W revolvers, the Governor missed the CCW boat by producing a larger/ wider 6-shot cylinder, instead of a slimmer 5-shot (like Taurus). For some reason S&W is reluctant to build large bore 5-shot revolvers, which means more sales to other manufacturers.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:19 AM   #8
qqq1

There have been many posts on this topic already. I had one. The design does work for close range as it is designed. If you have any problem at all with it good luck on getting Taurus to fix it. Loved mine when it would work but that was rare. Finally got Taurus to refund my money.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:26 AM   #9
justplainpossum

Sorry about the duplication! I will first do search in the future.
Old March 9, 2013, 11:37 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

That sounds good, folks. Let the OP search and if the OP comes back with questions we can answer.
Old March 9, 2013, 04:30 PM   #11
TMD

I think they are more of a gimmic gun but yet I own one myself. I use birdshot in it and carry it in my Ranger when I'm out 4wheeling to dispatch snakes.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:08 PM   #12
jimbob86

Quote:
I can't understand the report of a four foot pattern @ 10 feet with bird shot.
Target was an appliance box (washer, drier, don't recall which). Not all of the shot was staying on the box, even at 10 feet from the muzzle. There was a basketball sized area in the middle of the box that had maybe 1/2 dozen hits in it after a full cylinder of shotshells. I wish I had taken pictures.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Venom1956

I'm getting popcorn! JUDGE THREAD INCOMING! This will be good!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 9, 2013, 09:34 PM   #14
Bill D

judge

Alex,
Not a big thing, but your info is exactly why I left the gun forums, lack of knowledge by people posting as knowedgeable on the subject. I'm guessing you call a magazine a clip.
A revolver operates revolving the cylinder, and a pistol by front to rear movement of the slide. Totally different, but yet newbies read yours and others posts with wrong info and it snowballs.
Just read that a Baby Browning 25 and a Beretta 950 were great carry guns while I was surfing, and they were in the 70-80 era.
Learn the lingo!!!!
Old March 9, 2013, 09:51 PM   #15
alex0535

Are you angry that i said pistol instead of revolver?

Fine, ill edit it to make you happy.

And I know the difference between a magazine and a clip, thank you very much.
Old March 9, 2013, 10:03 PM   #16
Venom1956

not to derail this but alex's post was quite fine. Pistol is a term like handgun that can be used to describe both Revolvers and Semi autos or derringers.

Pistol: Noun
A small firearm designed to be held in one hand.

So before you come on here with your ten posts and attitude, belittling someone how about you get your facts straight.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 10, 2013, 01:29 AM   #17
Cheapshooter

Quote:
not to derail this but alex's post was quite fine. Pistol is a term like handgun that can be used to describe both Revolvers and Semi autos or derringers.

Pistol: Noun A small firearm designed to be held in one hand.

So before you come on here with your ten posts and attitude, belittling someone how about you get your facts straight.
Excellent post, and point!
Wonder what Mr. Ten Posts calls my T/C Contender? Doesn't go round and round. Nor back and forth. Isn't really small, but I call it a pistol!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 10, 2013, 09:39 AM   #18
Z400ACDC

Thank you Venom1956! There should be more with your attitude. People come here for friendly help and info, not to be belittled.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:06 AM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

1. We have enough past Judge threads to answer any question about their efficacy, pluses or minuses.

2. We don't need rude language police posts, esp. when the premise is not correct.

Closed.