The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

View Poll Results: Which Rifle!
Custom .250 Savage 24 58.54%
Ruger AW .358 Winchester 17 41.46%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 22, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
taylorce1

Torn Between Two Rifles!

I'm looking at a couple of rifles but for different reasons. One is a custom .250 Savage and the other is a new Ruger AW in .358 Win.

Rifle 1
Quote:
250 Savage on a blue printed Mini Mauser action with custom bottom metal, bolt stop and magazine altered to better feed cartridge. Pac Nor #1 contour 10T High Tech stock painted tan with black and brown webbing. $1500 Shipped without scope.

I got to hold this rifle the other day and it is pretty spendy but I sure the owner would cut me a better deal if I ask. It feels amazingly light and petite to me, but it points well and shoulders easily. This rifle wouldn't be for my use but my 9 soon to be 10 year old daughter. This is a nice light rifle with a 13.5 LOP which is a little long for her but she'll grow into it fast since she is fast approaching 5'3". Plus I think I can get the GS to cut the stock down to fit her, and I'd save the piece removed to later epoxy back on and then repaint the stock.

My daughter says right now she wants to hunt, and I'm taking her on her first deer hunt in November in OK and she'll be using a .223 with 55 grain Barnes TTSX bullets, however when she is old enough to hunt Colorado she will not be able to use the .223 anymore. She is recoil sensitive and can't handle anything larger than the .223 or my 6x47 right now but I'm sure when she is 12 she would be able to handle the .250 Savage or more powerful. My only concern is that this rifle will never have ammunition available for her to walk into a store and pick up off the shelf when she leaves home and doesn't have dad to reload for her.

Rifle 2

Just a plain old Ruger M77 All Weather in .358 Win. My local FFL can get me one in much cheaper than the link, but I wanted the pic. I've wanted a .358 Win in a bolt action for awhile and thought of building one on a Savage but I can buy the Ruger much cheaper than the Savage especially if I have to buy a SS rifle. I really don't care if it is SS or not but that is the best deal I've found on a new rifle. I've never owne a Ruger except for a single six and 10/22, but have been impressed by what I've seen for accuracy popping up on the web with the newer Rugers.

I'd like to do both but the money isn't in the budget for both. I don't have to worry about optics as I have both a VX-II 2-7 and 3-9 scope without a home right now. So opics doesn't play into the budget at the moment. So which would you choose?
Old August 22, 2012, 05:28 PM   #2
10-96

Oh man, I can't believe I'm gonna be the first one to post to a rifle/ctg you didn't list.

For her growing stature and sensitivities, have you considered something like a AR chambered in 6.8 Rem SPC with an adjustable stock? I don't know a thing about the 358, but the 6.8 should not lag too far behind the .250, or .250-3000 as labeled on some boxes.

If that is not an option, then I'm guessing my vote would swing towards the .250. The ammo might be a little easier to come by (you won't be around forever to reload for her). And, instead of chopping that stock, you could always pick up an unfinished spare. The reason I say "unfinished" spare is, well, basic wood refinishing would be a handy father/daughter project. And, that's a skill in of itself that she may thank you for later on down her life's path.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 22, 2012, 07:42 PM   #3
taylorce1

The .358 is for me as black bear medicne for hunting SE Alaska, I don't own any SS rifles except for a TC Encore in .204 Ruger. A 200 grain pill going 2400 fps is too much for my daugheter to handle and I wouldn't be a good father to let her try. However, the same load is deadly on bears.

AR's and children don't really mix IMO for hunting. The adjustable stock is great but I don't like the idea of a semi-auto and a kids first hunt. I've let my daughter shoot my AR and she really doesn't seem to care for it she would rather shoot the Stevens 200 .223 that I had cut down to fit her. It is a report thing even wearing plugs and muffs she jerks the trigger and anticpates the shot far more than when she is down behind the bolt action

.250 Savage will alwasy be available thanks to the internet. It really doesn't matter what I buy her I'll have to load it to her tolerance level right now. If I do a wood stock for her it wil be something like this Mini Mauser that I found on another forum. She like real wood better than synthetic and it looks a lot better with a spacer in a synthetic stock vs. wood.

Old August 23, 2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Scorch

My vote goes to the mini-Mauser. I have a soft spot in my heart (or head, I suppose) for the 250 Savage. And that other mini-Mauser is also a beauty!

Nothing wrong with a Ruger 77, they are a great rifle, but your daughter wouldn't like that 358, I can almost guarantee it. The 250 is just about nothing to shoot, the 358 will make her fel a little abused, IMO.
Old August 23, 2012, 06:56 AM   #5
taylorce1

The .358 was never for her, that is juat a rifle I've been wanting for awhile in a bolt action.
Old August 23, 2012, 11:12 AM   #6
the jigger

Rifle choice?

The 250/3000 is a ladies whitetail rifle for a lifetime. If she is partial to wood take a close look at the Savage 14. It can be had for about half of the custom price and as well you get Savage accuracy.
Old August 23, 2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Scorch

If she is partial to wood, I just happen to know a stockmaker (me ) that can make that rifle look like the other mini-Mauser. That rifle is a British stalking rifle pattern, very similar to rifles I build. But it's a tough call; a rifle for the daughter that will bring her happiness and make her love her dad and help create great memories together (a little free guilt for you ), or a rifle that you have been looking for for a while. Your call.
Old August 23, 2012, 12:20 PM   #8
taylorce1

Quote:
If she is partial to wood, I just happen to know a stockmaker (me ) that can make that rifle look like the other mini-Mauser. That rifle is a British stalking rifle pattern, very similar to rifles I build. But it's a tough call; a rifle for the daughter that will bring her happiness and make her love her dad and help create great memories together (a little free guilt for you ), or a rifle that you have been looking for for a while. Your call.
I'll let her pick the wood and stock design when it is time for a new stock on her rifle. I'll keep you in mind as well Scorch and I have a couple other stocks that need a little TLC. As soon as I get all my household moved and were settled in at our new house I'll be looking to get some work done. That stock isn't really to my tastes but it has beautiful wood and some pretty awesome checkering.

I did purchase the little .250 Savage this morning. I bought it off of Gunsmith Kevin Weaver of Weaver Rifles and he let it go for $1000 and not his $1500 asking price on his web site. At that price I'll probably be able to swing the .358 Ruger by mid October.
Old August 23, 2012, 12:21 PM   #9
ltc444

If the rifle is for your daughter get the one which fits her best.
Old August 23, 2012, 05:03 PM   #10
math teacher

Your daughter's interests will change drastically in about three years. If you are going to buy a gun just for her, don't spend $1,500. Only do that if you will keep it for yourself should she lose interest.
Old August 23, 2012, 06:10 PM   #11
taylorce1

Quote:
Your daughter's interests will change drastically in about three years. If you are going to buy a gun just for her, don't spend $1,500. Only do that if you will keep it for yourself should she lose interest.
I don't know if my daughters intrest in shooting will change all that drasticly her mother loves to shoot, but is more into handguns. We usually take the family approach when we go to the range, everyone shoots more than dad and then he is rushed to get his shooting in so we can all have lunch. I've never forced it on her, and if she wants to shoot she does if she wants to do something else we let her. Our old range was private and on 80 acres and had a fishing pond on it. She could go fish if she didn't want to shoot or go explore on her bycicle with her friend.

She is really good at archery and with her rifles and now she wants to move into pistols. She will be involved in some sort of shooting program as well this year we had hoped the Junior Olympic shooting program but now it looks like it will be the local 4-H club since we had to move. She is competitive and being with like minded kids will keep her far more interested in it than when she looses intrest in hanging out with her dad.

The rifle will be hers to do with what she wants, if she sells it or passes it on to her children the choice will be hers. I'd rather spend $1500 on a rifle that last generations than just something cheap for her to shoot. Plus she says she wants to hunt so it is my job to find her a rifle that will provide her with the best chances for success and that will keep here interested as well.
Old August 27, 2012, 03:54 PM   #12
hooligan1

That's a very nice rifle Taylor, and the caliber is totally cool, she'll dig it man.
Old August 28, 2012, 09:52 AM   #13
taylorce1

Quote:
That's a very nice rifle Taylor, and the caliber is totally cool, she'll dig it man
Where have you been hiding, been awhile since I've seen you post anything. How does deer season look?
Old August 28, 2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Saltydog235

I'd get the Ruger and buy her something else. That rifle is absolutely gorgeous.
Old August 28, 2012, 02:34 PM   #15
hooligan1

No joke dude, my computer took a dump and I had to fix it, that's why it took so long and I've been up to painting all the synthetic stocks in my collection, trigger and pillar-bedding a few rifles, but mostly handloading ammo dude, lots and lots, tinkering with other rifles and range trips,(when it ain't too hot) and beer drinking..... that's about it I think. ummmm yeah that sums it up thanks for asking.

BTW I will be posting picks of my different stock painting adventures.

Also the corn in my area is bad, alot of farmers are cutting it for silage this year and they been cutting it down evrywhere around here. So the deer could be looking at a tuff winter with hardly any acorns,(mostly small) and the beans look bad too,,,, just no water here for too long buddy.... but we always adapt and overcome I hope the deer do as well.

Last edited by hooligan1; August 28, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old August 28, 2012, 07:49 PM   #16
1stmar

I vote for the mini Mauser

Taylorce1 what was the price on that beauty!
Old August 29, 2012, 12:40 AM   #17
taylorce1

Quote:
Taylorce1 what was the price on that beauty!
Paid $1000 for it and that will include shortening the stock if needed.
Old August 29, 2012, 01:37 AM   #18
1stmar

Gorgeous and a deal IMO
Old September 7, 2012, 09:14 PM   #19
taylorce1

My daughter got to pick up her new rifle today

I think she liked it!
Old September 7, 2012, 10:07 PM   #20
1stmar

Fantastic, hope she enjoys it ...
Old September 8, 2012, 08:39 AM   #21
hooligan1