The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2007, 11:09 PM   #1
onlybrowning

Lubalox

I am trying to work up a new load for a .338 Federal in a Ruger M77 Hawkeye. I am using C/T Ballistic Silvertip 200 grain bullets. I am wondering if this is a moly coating, and was it ok to break in the barrel using these bullets? I have read that many moly shooters don't even count their first 15-30 rounds let alone clean the barrel in this many shots. This is very new to me, but the gun has begun to shoot tighter with the same load after not being cleaned in about 25 rounds. I am nervous to continue use for fear of the infamous "burn ring" that some sources say ruins your barrel. Any suggestions? I will shoot the Hornady SST 225 grain load when everyone gets it back in stock, but the season is fast approaching.
Old August 26, 2007, 01:46 AM   #2
Scorch

Lubalox is not moly.
Old August 27, 2007, 10:12 AM   #3
onlybrowning

Thank you, but what is it comparable to? Why does it act similar as far as fouling is concerned? I have no experience with this stuff. HELP!
Old August 27, 2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Wild Bill Bucks

I've used the CT Ballistic tips for years in .308. It is my understanding that a Moly coated bullet is made first and the moly put on afterwards, and the Lubolox is built into the bullet when it is manufactured.

Take a moly bullet and a Lubolox bullet and about 25 cents worth of pennies and put them together in your pick-ups ashtray for about a week and then take them out and inspect them. You will see that the moly bullet has most of the moly in the bottom of your ashtray, but the Lubolox bullet will still look just like it did when you put it in there.

When I shoot them in my .308, I don't have to clean more than every 100 rounds, and I'm not sure that I have to clean then, I just start feeling guilty if I don't.

I shoot through a competition barrel, and probably have around 5000 rounds shot so far, and I haven't noticed any difference in the way the gun shoots from when the barrel was brand new.

I shot several different kinds of bullets through the barrel when I first got it installed, but nothing I tried was as accurate as the CT Silver BT. When I clean the barrel I don't have any Lubolox residue that comes out on my patch, just powder residue, so I'm pretty sure that the Lubolox doesn't build up in the barrel. I think that moly will build up over time.

Just my 2 cents
Old August 27, 2007, 01:00 PM   #5
onlybrowning

Great reply. Thanks a lot. I will continue use of the Ballistic Silvertip to see if the gropus improve more as the shot number goes up (without cleaning).
Old August 27, 2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Scorch

My understanding is that Lubalox is a polymer coating that is put on the bullets as they are manufactured. As a polymer (Teflon is a good example of polymer coating), it reduces friction and builds a low-friction bearing surface. It will not impregnate metal by itself by being fired in a barrel (Nylon and Teflon coating on metals is applied as a gas, from what I understand), yet it provides the same lubricity. It is nearly impossible to scratch, and does not peel off. It is not a great friction reducer, but it is an adequate friction reducer and requires no barrel treatment to use. Since it does not build up, it takes no additional effort to clean the barrel after use.