The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 3, 2010, 06:38 PM   #1
BLS700

Box Calls

I tried to do a search but it wasn't working so if this is a repeat I apologize but I was looking for some box call advice for turkeys. Not just for call quality but durability. So what do you all like?
Old July 3, 2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Todd1700

Take it from somebody that has owned 2 dozen different types and spent anywhere from 15 bucks to 100 bucks on an individual box call in my lifetime. You can't beat a simple Lynch Fool Proof box call. Cheap, easy to use, sounds great, and will last forever unless you throw it on the ground and stomp it.
Old July 3, 2010, 07:50 PM   #3
crghss

Quote:
You can't beat a simple Lynch Fool Proof box call
My father has been using his Lynch for over 30 years. Doesn't look much different then when we hunted together when I was teen.
Old July 4, 2010, 03:09 AM   #4
bamaranger

same but.........

I called my first bird w/ a Lynch World Champion. Classic vintage box. But I don't hunt w/ one, of any kind, anymore. To big, bulky and always making noise when I don't want it to, despite however I stow it. Sensitive to wet weather too, but so are other friction calls.

But, some of the best hunters in my area still tote a box. Good sound/tone and a wide range of volume and capable of a variety of calls. Just not for me.
Old July 13, 2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Prof Young

Double Thunder

I don't recall who makes it, but I have a Double Thunder Box call that I bought before I knew anything about calling turkeys. My first day of turkey hunting I had them talking back to me within minutes. Every turkey I've ever called in was with that double thunder. I have other calls and use them some, but the double thunder is still my main call. It's probably not all that much better than other box calls. You do get two different sounds out of it depending on which side you "scratch." Get some box call magic while you are at it and throw your chalk away.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old July 13, 2010, 11:02 PM   #6
jrothWA

Still using my Lynch FoolProof from 1984..

keep it dry, if raining place inside bread bag, hold from outside and keep other hand inside to operate.

USE BLUE CHALK, hardware/lumber store.

Call softly & lightly, seems got more response/visits, than trying to call from neighboring counties.

Good Luck!

Did get a "widow maker" tube call (original Ben Lee) now made by others, for usse during spring monsoons.

Leave woods when you hear thunder or aee lightning.
Old July 25, 2010, 03:54 AM   #7
bamaranger

leave woods

I've heard (and killed) more than one old monarch who just couldn't resist gobbling at thunder.

I also have read that you are more likely to die from a lighting strike than from snake bite, and I see a LOT of poisonous snakes in the spring woods. Honestly, I am VERY respectful of lighting.

But I have holed up in cheap poncho more than once, under a rock ledge, cutbank, or down tree/root clump, cause a bird gobbled at thunder and I tried to get to him before the storm broke and didn't.

All this hot weather.........it'll be 8 months before I can hunt spring turkey again. DARN

I've got a collection of old calls. Center piece is a very vintage Lynch box, which the first bird I ever called came to (notice I didn't say killed) as I gobbled on it.
Old July 25, 2010, 04:21 AM   #8
Hoskins

I love my Lohman 870 Box & been using it for about 18 years now. Ran across another one & bought it just to have it as back up to my original...just in the event that the original messes up or gets broke on me.
Old July 25, 2010, 06:58 PM   #9
hooligan1

I have an old Ike Ashby box call, I'm saving it for my grandchildren. I've cleaned a few clocks using that one..

Thanks for coming!
Old July 27, 2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Todd1700

Quote:
I've heard (and killed) more than one old monarch who just couldn't resist gobbling at thunder.
I'm not advocating anybody stay out in lightening storms but like you I've sure killed them with a thunderstorm rolling in before. Killed one 2 years ago and made it back to the truck with him about 15 seconds before the bottom fell out. LOL!