The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 15, 2016, 08:32 PM   #26
THEWELSHM

I'm right handed but left eye dominant, I had LASIKi correction mono vision.. I decided to learn to shoot hand guns left handed.. It's now natural plus I can switch hit back to right, although infrequent..

I would recommend learning left.. It costs nothing right??

Thewelshm
Old August 15, 2016, 11:05 PM   #27
SocialAnarchist

Quote:
Big Shrek

Since Lasic eye surgery has really come down in price,
and most insurance companies pay for it,
just get 'em fixed
If it were only that easy. The issue is an optic nerve swelling that is creating a gray cloud type of effect in the upper portion of my right eye. Treatment, that included an injection into my eye, has eased the problem, but it isn't cured and may never be. So I am planning in case it never goes back to normal.
Old August 18, 2016, 12:57 PM   #28
gwpercle

Long time shooter , right handed and right eye dominate , until loosing most of the sight in my right eye several years ago. Easiest thing to do is simply shoot shotguns and rifles left handed. Not as hard to do as you might think , the left hand can squeeze the trigger with just a little practice.
Shoot handguns with my right hand , and sight with left eye , tilt head a bit to get tri-focal glasses in the right place . Aiming handgun with left eye was easy.
After a while it becomes second nature.
I find it helps to close my nearly blind right eye and let the left do all the aiming.....so much for both eyes open shooting , you have to shoot with what you got.
Gary
Old August 19, 2016, 10:33 PM   #29
SocialAnarchist

I have not even tried shooting a rifle yet. But I agree with you about closing the right eye. I think it is far easier than trying to sight through the cloud of my right eye.
Old August 20, 2016, 09:48 AM   #30
g.willikers

Aiming with one eye closed was the common method for centuries.
No reason to think it's not still useful if need be.
What ever works.
Old August 20, 2016, 10:06 AM   #31
sig-gunner

I seem to have always confused "dominant eye" with "eye that has best vision."

In the various "find your dominant eye" tests, my left eye wins. But when I block that eye and look through my right eye I see better than blocking the right and using the left dominant eye.

This may explain why I've always got better results peering through the sights with my right non-dominant eye, even though I feel the impulse to use the other eye.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. – Ronald Reagan