The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 5, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Win73

Moultrie customer service

I just want to relate an excellent example of customer service.

I had a Moultrie D4 trail camera. It was a 4 megapixel flash type. The flash quit working. It would still take day time pictures and would trip at night but the flash would only fire about one time out of 20 or 25 times. At night I would just get black pictures.

The camera was a year and a half old. The warranty was only one year.

The Moultrie web site stated that it was usually not worthwhile to send one in for repair if it was out of warranty. They recommended just buying a new one. However they did say that if you wanted to send it in, they would check it out and let you know how much it would cost to repair. If you didn't want to pay the price they would send it back to you.

I decided to send mine in. I figured I had nothing to lose except postage. If they wanted to much to repair it, I would just have them return it and I would be no worse off.

So I filled out the form on line and sent my camera in. Much to my amaze and delight, in just a few days, I received a box from them. In the box was a new (and it was new, not refurbished) D5 five megapixel flash camera.

Needless to say, if I need to buy another one, it will be a Moultrie.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old August 7, 2011, 09:18 PM   #2
603Country

Moultrie did the same thing for me. I was very impressed with them. I just wish that the trigger speed was a bit faster on the Moultries that I have. I keep getting the back ends of deer. Maybe newer ones are faster.
Old August 8, 2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Win73

Quote:
I just wish that the trigger speed was a bit faster on the Moultries that I have.
I agree that it would be nice if the trigger speed were a little faster. One thing I do is set mine to take three shots each time. I find that one of the three is usually better than the other two. I just keep the best one. I use 2 gig SD cards. I have gotten over 300 pictures in a weeks time. That doesn't fill the SD even half way.

I once bought a Wild Game Inovations camera. I took it back because it wasn't satisfatory. For the money, I am very satisfied with my three Moultries, two infrared and one flash. I averaged just about $100 each for them. A friend of mine has a $200 Bushnell and another friend has a Cuddebak. My Moultries take just as good pictures as theirs. Theirs do trigger quicker but that is the only difference I see.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old August 9, 2011, 10:21 PM   #4
shortwave

Thanks for the info Win73.

I'm in the market for a couple trail cams. Will definately keep Moultrie in mind.

Do you like the flash or infrared the best?
Old August 10, 2011, 12:16 PM   #5
603Country

Next camera I get will be one with the 'black flash', that can't be seen at all - or so they advertise. Moultrie has one now. But between the flash type and IR flash type, I like the night pictures from the flash type better, but I like that the IR doesn't spook the animals like the white flash does. I doubt that I'll buy any more of the white flash type.

Most pictures I ever had on one of the Moultries was about 3000 on one SD card. Took me a while to delete what I didn't want.
Old August 10, 2011, 02:14 PM   #6
spclPatrolGroup

Good to know, all my cams are Moultrie's.
Old August 10, 2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Glad y'all have had good service with Moultrie. I have not had great experience with Moultrie and some of their service reviews on Amazon are terrible. Maybe they are chaning their tune?
Old August 10, 2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Win73

Quote:
I have not had great experience with Moultrie
Just out of curiosity, what problems have you had with Moultrie?

Old August 10, 2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Win73

Quote:
Do you like the flash or infrared the best?
With me it is six of one, half dozen of the other. I like the color pictures at night with the flash type. The flash may spook some deer but I get a lot of multuple shots of the same deer at night. I have been using flash cameras for three years now and based on that experience, I don't think spooking the deer is a major problem.

The IR type gets much longer battery life than the flash type. One of my IR cameras has 75 IR emitters. It covers a much larger area at night than my flash type. If you get the IR type, the more emitters it has, the larger the coverage area at night.

Old August 10, 2011, 08:55 PM   #10
603Country

Win73 might just be right about the white flash not spooking game too badly, but I'm still not quite sure that it doesn't. The IR flash takes that out of the equation, or so I think. I just moved a Moultrie IR flash game camera to the front yard to spy on the wife's flower bed. Something had been digging in it, and she wanted to know what it was. Well, it was coons and armadillos, none of which were spooked, but the other morning when I walked past it, it made a click sound when it took my picture. Today, when I checked the memory stick again, I had a shot of my big housecat hanging in the air about 2 or 3 feet up over the flower bed. Something scared him enough for him to max out his vertical leap. The picture was taken during the morning hours and the only thing that could have spooked the cat was the clicking noise. Maybe it's the click and not the flash that makes the critters jumpy.
Old August 11, 2011, 08:29 AM   #11
shortwave

Thanks guys.

From what I understand from talking to a few of the neighbors, trail cams. have been a hot item for the thieves the last couple seasons.

One neighbor has had two stolen, the other five.

Neighbor said it seems as though someones out walking the woods at night specifically looking for them to steal as he can't seem to keep one very long. His property sets in kind of a bowl and he feels the thieves are just posting on a hill and waiting to see the flash.

ODNR nor the sheriffs dept. have the time or manpower to come out and do anything....so, there are a few guys around here that have been pulling 'night maneuvers' this summer to catch the thieves. So far no luck but its just a matter of time....and a lot of sleepless nights

I think I'll check out the 'black flash' 603Country referred to. Especially if they are completely silent and have no flash. This kind of setup would not only be great for hunting but we could possibly get pics. of the thieves stealing a flash type 'bait camera' as well.
Old August 11, 2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
They were less than helpful when every one of the displays on my I40s failed. Seems they had a major design flaw where the LCD would absorb moisture over time and the dispaly would go away. Basically, the argument was that since all the cameras were out of warranty (greater than 1 year old), that they were completely free of responsibility. While I don't doubt that is true, it was also true that none were over 1 year and 9 months and the newest was 3 weeks out of warranty at the time I called. All had failed within 15 months.

So for approximately half the price of what the units could be had for new on sale, they would replace the display and ship them back in 3-8 weeks if they had the parts and if no other problems were found.

When I asked if this was a common problem, I was told that it happened sometimes, but wasn't common. When I checked online, it was the predominate problem noted for the I40s and I60 units. Most seem to fail between 6 months and 2 years. The crappy thing is that the camera may still work, but you can't change any settings and if the time and date get off, then you can't fix them either.

So basically, I think Moultrie sold a perishable product that should not have been perishable (made to be outside but can't handle ambient moisture in the air) and wanted to profit from the experience and did so without being honest about the issue.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...=991913&page=1
Old August 11, 2011, 01:19 PM   #13
603Country

Doublenaught is right. Even though I like the Moultrie, I have one with no LCD display and one with a fading display. They still work great however, and I didn't need the LCD readout anyway - as long as the camera works. And for what it's worth, the oldest game camera I have is a Leaf River with the white flash. That thing just soldiers on through rain and snow and 105 degree heat, and it takes a good picture. I don't even know how long I've had it, but it's got to be more than 4 or 5 years. I keep waiting for it to die, but it's too mean and tough to die.
Old August 11, 2011, 01:47 PM   #14
wild willy

I had one of the I40 that the display went blank. It was out of warranty couple months. Called them said sent it back they would let me know what it would cost to repair.Week or so I got a brand new camera no charge.Hope it quit working cause some SOB stole it two weeks after I put it back out.
Old August 11, 2011, 01:53 PM   #15
Doyle

Quote:
Never used one of their cameras but the quality of their game feeders is about as bad as any Chinese made crap you can find. They just don't hold up.
Old August 11, 2011, 08:59 PM   #16
Win73

Quote:
A friend of mine has a $200 Bushnell and another friend has a Cuddebak.
By the way, my friends had to send their Bushnell and Cuddebak in for repair. Fortunately they were still in warranty.

Old August 11, 2011, 10:52 PM   #17
603Country

Doyle, I've had great success with OnTime feeder mechanisms, and the old version not the digital version. They'll run for a year on one set of batteries. Just put that on a 30 gallon drum and hang it from a tree any you're good to go till the corn runs out. If the thing breaks, you call their customer service and they'll tell you what parts you need and mail em to you (for a fee), but they are easy to fix. Just plain simple, and I like simple.

As for cameras, if I could find a perfect one, that's what I'd buy. Unfortunately, I don't think a perfect one is available, though the new Leupold might be worth a look. Moultrie, as I've experienced, just keeps taking pictures, and that's all I ask of a game camera. Just keep working, keep taking pictures, and don't eat batteries too often. I get that from Moultrie. I might also get it from Cuddeback or Bushnell, but I don't know that. I will not buy another SniperCam. I'd buy another Leaf River.