The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 8, 2009, 10:42 AM   #1
GrumpyOldTex

AR-15 Match Trigger Questions

I'm planning to buy a match trigger for my AR. Is the Rock River Arms NM two stage trigger a decent choice. It seems reasonably priced at $120. Any input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old February 8, 2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Creature

I got that same trigger for $88 shipped:

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/miscparts.html

Excellent trigger. The webpage says all RRA parts are sold out, but call the number anyway. He just might have the trigger.

Any yes...it was a genuine RRA trigger.
Old February 8, 2009, 11:54 AM   #3
GrumpyOldTex

Thanks Creature. Will do.
Old February 8, 2009, 08:40 PM   #4
Ken O

For the same price, WOA (White Oak Armament) sells RR triggers that are tuned. Or, if you have a RR trigger John will polish and tune it. I have one and its excellent. He usually has them in stock ready to go.

Another option is the Gieselle trigger, its pretty pricey, but its a fantastic trigger, I have one of these also.
Old February 8, 2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Tim R

Grumpy....the highest percentage of AR triggers on the line at Camp Perry are the RRA 2 stage trigger. I have 2 of them and both were tuned by John at White Oak.
Old February 13, 2009, 09:28 PM   #6
GrumpyOldTex

Thanks Guys,
I emailed Legal Transfers which is the site Creature told me about. They are out of stock. I'll check White Oak and see if they have it.
I may have to wait a bit now. Our hours have been cut at work due to canceled orders because if the bad economy. I'm not worried though cause Obama's gonna make everything alright. YEAH RIGHT!!!!!
Old February 13, 2009, 10:15 PM   #7
yar

I run a adj jard trigger and I like it a lot. Very short reset.

The JP trigger is awesome as well as the Jewel.
Old March 1, 2009, 03:17 PM   #8
sneaky pete

"JARD" Single Stage Adjustables RULE

old Sneaky Pete here: I got a Stripped Lower and parts kit for Christmas and bought a JARD single stage 1>1-1/2 pound adjustable fom Midway USA for $147.99 +S&H. I installed it EXACTLY as per directions EXCEPT I never use "Blue Locktite--I got the trigger adjusted just like I wanted it and then took some "Green" locktite and applied it where it was needed( this way you do not have to "Back out" of your adjustment /apply the Blue and then twist back down to where you thought you were) I have fired 3-80rd matches with it + sight in and practice rounds and sighters and it functioned Prefectly(NO double taps) and the pull is exactly as advertised, and there is NO take up or overtravel. You just put your finger on the trigger-begin to squeeze and BANG. I HATE 2 stage triggers-Period. and evrytime we have a Club Garand match I hate it BUT once upon a time I carried a Garand in the Marines and learned to deal with it. Unless you just MUST have a 2 stage??? try a single stage.I also have a JP Enterprises fire control group installed by JP on a "Large Hole" Colt SP-1 and it is also single stage But @ 3 pounds and I like the JARD better THANX--SNEAKY

Last edited by sneaky pete; March 1, 2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: sp
Old March 1, 2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Ken O

Pete, if he is building this for Service Rifle competition, we are dealing with a mininum 4 1/2 pound triger pull. I want mine closer to 5, because when I go up to the trialer at Perry to get it weighted, the last thing I want to do is have it fail and have to tear it apart and try and de-tune it.

I have mine set up with 4 1/2 on the first stage and 1 on the second. The idea is to take up the first stage and hold it while you get aimed, then break the second. When you have the first stage pulled, its then like a single stage to finish the shot. If your trying to pull through 5 pounds while aiming, its hard to stay on target. There are some very good shooters who do use a single stage in a Service rifle and do real well, but they are very few. For a match rifle (space gun) where you aren't dealing with the weight requirement, I would think a single stage would be better, but I don't shoot one.

On my Palma and long range bolt guns, I use a single stage and they are less then a pound.

So IMO it depends on what your shooting, I think it makes a lot of sense to use a two stage for Service Rife, which is why probalby over 98% of these shooters use them in competition.
Old March 2, 2009, 08:26 AM   #10
sneaky pete

Aware of the NRA/CMP/DCS rules!

Sneaky back: The title says it. I don't shoot "Service Rifle". THANX--SNEAKY