The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 10, 2013, 07:45 PM   #51
droptrd

Ive got 10 pmags
6 c-products
6 usgi
1 troy battlemag
all have magpul style anti tilt followers

6 caa with anti tilts on backorder
4 steel 10 rounders with magpul followers from?? on backorder

im good

@swampman

I refuse to pay more than $15 for a 30rd. those who have paid $40+ for a pmag, i have to ask, why?
Old March 10, 2013, 08:11 PM   #52
Chowder

Quote:
I refuse to pay more than $15 for a 30rd. those who have paid $40+ for a pmag, i have to ask, why?
I have to agree with this one. I paid 21 for PMAGS but with the cost of Alaska shipping that's only a couple dollars more then I found them at a store I like less. I have to give Alaska tactical a lot of credit for not jacking up there prices when the craziness hit. Only a few prices of there supplies have gone up because there cost has gone up but everything else has stayed the same.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:08 AM   #53
Geoff7

Quote:
I paid $30 apiece just before Magpul announced their Colorado MSRP sales program. Why? Because it is looking pretty likely that in a few short months I won't be able to buy any magazine that can hold (or can be easily converted to hold) more than 15 rounds. I was willing to pay $30 each just to be sure I had some (in the unlikely event the gun grabbers got something more going on a national level, I didn't want to have to buy them at $60 each between now and the end of June, when CO's new magazine ban will likely take effect).

Of course, I really hope I can look back and chuckle at the $100 I wasted because our legislature didn't actually pass the magazine limit, but I'm not at all confident that's how it will go down...
Old March 12, 2013, 07:26 PM   #54
MagnumWill

Well, I wish I could have told you it was a fruitless investment, Geoff.

Ordered another 2 from Cope's to round it out.
Old March 12, 2013, 11:14 PM   #55
hermanpj

8 pmag 30s. 6 in the pouches and two magclipped together in the gun. If I need more than that its a really bad freakin day.
NRA Member|Texas State Rifle Association Member| Texas Concealed Handgun License holder|Springfield M1A Loaded|Kimber Super Carry Pro .45 ACP|Weatherby SA 459 12 ga|Black Rain+Adams Arms Piston AR15|Beretta 92FS| CZ Dan Wesson ECO 9MM| Ruger 10/22
Old March 13, 2013, 05:26 PM   #56
Jo6pak

I've got 5 Pmags, an Orlite, and a dozen old GI aluminum.
If it gets so bad that I need more, I'm sure there will be plenty lying around....along with the rifles that use them
Old March 13, 2013, 07:46 PM   #57
Justice06RR

I'm comfortable with my AR mags, having over 20 of different types including Pmags, Lancer, GI, and Surefire60. I'm sure i'll pick up some more as they come back down in price.

In my area there are now plenty in stock of Pmags for $27. Still more than I'd like to pay for them, but at least they are available.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:07 AM   #58
Technosavant

My backorder of Brownells USGI 30rd with Magpul followers showed up yesterday, so now I'm DEFINITELY good. I'll let everybody else fight over the current supply.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:50 AM   #59
ROCK6

I lost count, but last count was about 20 mags per AR (14 ARs). I’m pretty comfortable with that and they are a variety of USGI, Pmags, and a dozen or so Lancers and those steel Israeli mags.

They should last quite some time. I did some refurbishing on several 1960-70’s era 20rd USGI and they are more preferred bench mags; new springs, base plates and followers. Granted these are aluminum and those often the most susceptible for having cracked lips, but mine are still looking great.

I do have a few Thermold which are inferior to the construction of the Pmags, but even those are holding up quite well and I suspect Pmags should have a long life-time if not overly abused.

ROCK6
Old March 15, 2013, 04:48 PM   #60
Aiko

LOL, my 15 Pmags will outlast my .223/5.56 ammo at this rate.
Old March 15, 2013, 06:46 PM   #61
BerdanSS

Back right before the craziness started I bought a full case of 30 rounders. 1/2 okay and 1/2 centers brand new still in boxes/bags with enough CS springs and grey magpul followers to rebuild a couple of times...soooooo, I'm good.

If I remember right, I got them for $6.89 per magazine.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:45 PM   #62
tobnpr

Given that I don't live in a state that's a bastion of liberalism, I have five, and know that I'll be able to continue to buy as many as I choose, eventually.

If there's an insurrection, I'm comfortable it'll be after the panic buyers get done. And since there's less than a snowball's chance in Hades of "you-know-who's" AWB getting through the Senate- and even less than that of getting through the House, I have no concerns.

Why do you ask the question?
Expecting civil war?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old March 15, 2013, 08:48 PM   #63
Geoff7

Quote:
Given that I don't live in a state that's a bastion of liberalism
Until recently, neither did I. It can happen with surprising swiftness
Old March 15, 2013, 11:21 PM   #64
johnwilliamson062

I can't believe the randomness of your mags. I bought one each of several brands, tried them out then bought 12 of the brand I liked. I sold/gave away the others.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:45 PM   #65
medalguy

I have.....a lot. I started buying mags back about 1985 and whenever I found them cheap, I bought all I could as investments. I still buy them when they're cheap.

Last year (early last year) I found a surplus dealer who wanted to get out of the mag business, and bought a very large carton nearly full of GI 30 round mags for $3 each. I figured they wouldn't go down in value and they haven't. I'd buy more if I could find them cheap again, but that's not looking too likely to happen.
Old March 16, 2013, 10:25 PM   #66
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy
I started buying mags back about 1985 and whenever I found them cheap, I bought all I could as investments. I still buy them when they're cheap.

Last year (early last year) I found a surplus dealer who wanted to get out of the mag business, and bought a very large carton nearly full of GI 30 round mags for $3 each.
So, are you selling them now?

The only way to capitalize on an investent is to sell when the price is higher than you paid. If you are keeping them it wasn't really an investment purchase, just adding to your collection/accumulation. Nothing wrong with that either.