The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 10, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1
nathaniel

Optic options

I have a DPMS Oracle that is my new all around rifle since my fiancee stole my Savage 12 FV. What I need is your guys opinion on what optics I should get. Right now I have a 3-9x40 prostaff on it. I would like something for short range as well as long range since this will be used on everything from deer to prairie dogs and home defense to long range targets. I have around $500 to spend on just the optics. Should I get something like the burris Tac30 package or get irons on a 1 o' clock offset like the 3 gunners use? Im open to any and all suggestions. I have attached a photo of my current setup (sorry about the low quality pic). I plan on putting a MI free float handgaurd on it when I get a chance to get one.

Thanks in advance,
Nathaniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-11-05_17-23-36_125 (640x480).jpg (192.4 KB, 29 views)
Old November 11, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
big al hunter

The easier decision would be what gun to buy for your fiance. Then take your savage back.. I would go with a low power variable like a 1-7. That gives you up close and longer range in the same package.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Creeper

Quote:
I would go with a low power variable like a 1-7. That gives you up close and longer range in the same package.
Yep... can't argue with logic. A 1.5 or even a 2X lower mag would be OK... but the 1X will give you full FOV with both eyes open right up to reach out and touch distance.

The Burris Tac30 would be fine... but you mention "prairie dogs" and "long range targets", so 4X may limit your long range, small target capabilities.
Might want to look at the 1-6X MTAC too. Your post is kinda vague on distance, as in, no distances at all ... so I've no way of knowing which scope would serve you better.

Cheers,
C
Old November 11, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
nathaniel

I live in western ND so the range possibilites could be from 3 to 1000 yards, granted I probably wouldnt ever shoot past 300 with the DPMS. But if the need arises I would like to still be able to reach out and touch something further.

And Big Al, as far as getting another gun thats out of the question I already got the dog house for buying the DPMS.
Old November 11, 2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Creeper

Might as well get some offset irons and a high enough mag scope to accommodate the longer ranges. That's what I've got on my 3-gun and it works fine... at least it does for my geezer class capabilities.
Old November 11, 2012, 01:14 PM   #6
nathaniel

Thats kinda the way I was leaning creeper. Now I have another question for you. What offset mounts and irons should I buy?
Old November 11, 2012, 01:35 PM   #7
Creeper

A couple of Daniel Defense mounts works fine and lets you run whatever sights you want. I got Dueck Defense sights, but I got 'em for really cheap from a guy that didn't like them. They're kinda pricy if you have to pay full boat for 'em.
I think Yankee Hill makes some offset mounts too... check that.

C
Old November 11, 2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Creeper

Yep... Yankee Hill does 'em too.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:24 PM   #9
nathaniel

Thanks alot creeper!
Old November 11, 2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Creeper

No problem. Post pics when it's all done and done.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:44 PM   #11
ripnbst

I'd recommend a dot sight or that Burris tac 30 would serve you well. Keep that prostaff and get a Burris PEPR mount for it with QD attachment, switch back and forth. Trying to use one optic for CQB and prairie dogs is impossible, sorry.
Old November 13, 2012, 12:23 AM   #12
gk1

Instead of irons, a small reflex sight could be offset/angle-mounted with a larger scope, too...
Old November 14, 2012, 03:07 PM   #13
RadioFlyer8

I use the Burris MTAC 1-4 and it works great. I'm not a huge fan of the reticle and would much prefer the XTR 1-4 but I found the MTAC on sale.
Old November 14, 2012, 04:17 PM   #14
dahinnant

$500 budget!?

$500 budget will buy plenty of glass. If weight is an issue.. I'm sorry. I assuming these things: budget, dpms (gettin beat around), possibility of shooting in low light; I will post.
Just bought a new scope for my 22-250 and went through all this. I called Nikon. Prostaff great light transmission and clarity, and the monarch is huge. I settled on a buck master. Excellent light transmission, durability, and clarity. If you must go with a 40mm objective I'd look for a 30mm tube to compensate for light transmission degradation.
40(obj dia) divided by 7(ideal exit pupil diameter)= less than six power. At ten power pupil diameter is 4mm and so on. Assuming that I bought a 4-12x50 buck master bdc. It's awesome. Already dropped it (from vertical to horizontal on pasture) and it hadn't budged. Online cheapest next tag $260.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:04 PM   #15
nathaniel

After deer hunting this past weekend I have decided to keep the 3-9x40 prostaff on my upper but also purchase a 22 or 24 inch bull barrel upper and put a 4-12x 40 nikon (which is what I have on all my bolt actions) on it for longer range work. Coyotes where hard to hit at 300+ yards with the smaller scope. Again thanks everyone for the suggestions.