The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 20, 2001, 06:47 PM   #1
BonesofGa.

Howdy folks, 1st post. I got this gun, it has a crest on top of the reciever, it says EJERCITO DE COLOMBIA. On the right side of the rec. it says R.FAMAGE 1952. On the left side, F.16xxx. The barrel "tapers" down 4-times, under the blueing, it has an almost copper look. Bolt action, 30-06. The bolt from my 1909 Argentine has the same specs as this one, fits perfectly. I've read somewhere that some S. American factories did'nt respect patents back then. Is this where this rifle was produced? Who's R.Famage? What's it worth? I would like to thank everybody for their input here. This is an awesome sight! Thanks, Bones
Old February 8, 2001, 04:35 PM   #2
BonesofGa.

O.K. Maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. I looked at a book named "Mauser's of the World", but no luck. This is the only rifle I have that I can't find any history on. I really would appreciate any help. Thanks Bones
Old February 9, 2001, 09:28 PM   #3
Herodotus

The reason that you cannot find any history on it is that it is a rebuilt rifle, which is common. Colombian rifles were originally all 7mm Mauser. After WWII, they rebuilt a lot of them and rebarreled to the American 30/06. Many of the Columbian rifles were originally made by FN in Belgium, and this is the best guess sight unseen, but they also had some rifles mad by CZ in Czecholovkia and by Steyer in Austria. If you are good at interpreting the many small little marks on the various parts of the receiver, you might be able to figure this out for sure, but I could not do it.
Old February 10, 2001, 08:20 AM   #4
BonesofGa.

Thanks. I found one on Ellison's Military Rifles.Also, in the 23rd ed. of Gun Traders Guide, pg. 221, it explains a little about this gun. Such as coat of arms, contractors name, and date of manufacture. I appreciate your help.A little push in the right direction makes all the difference in the world.