The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 15, 2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Vireye

Training with a Glock 30

Hi all,

Several months ago, I purchased a Glock 30 (Subcompact .45 ACP for anyone who doesn't know) to use as one of my daily carry weapons. The other is my Sig Sauer p228r (9mm for those not familiar with it).

I love the Glock. Having a helluva time breaking it in so the slide isn't so stiff, but I expected that from a subbie .45.

My problem is this. I know it's not the pistol, it's me, which is why I'd like some advice:

The very first time I took the Glock to the range, it was dead-on accurate. I since swapped out the standard sights for Trijicon Hi-Def Night Sights. Took it to the range again, accurate as hell again.

Third trip, I started shooting my Sig more, and started practicing with my AR-15, and my Mossberg 500. All of a sudden, my accuracy with my Glock is TERRIBLE.

I mean, I'm hitting the metal frame of the target 2 out of 10 shots at 7 feet...

Here's the weird thing: If I rapid fire, it's bullseye after bullseye. It's only when I carefully aim and take 3-5 seconds between shots that my rounds land all over the place...

Part of me is thinking this is a psychological thing, somehow...that I'm overthinking it. Or its just going from the Sig to the Glock constantly is messing me up.

I don't get to the range nearly as often as I'd like, but I'm hoping to change that. Obviously practicing is a no-brainer, but I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips for me...
Old September 15, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
jsk

I was doing the same thing on my G27, accurate quick fire but, with me, low and and left slow. I've come to the conclusion I'm gripping tighter as I pull the trigger in anticipation of the recoil. Maybe something similar?
Old September 15, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Vireye

Same thing, low and left...sounds like that could be a factor. I'll have to be more aware of my grip next trip...