The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2012, 09:45 AM   #1
ruger357w

45 acp loads

So today I've decided to do some tinkering on my 45 acp. I'm useing 230 gr. LRN bullets. I'm wanting to try Win 231 but my lyman book (49th edition) has two ** witch says to use federal brass. Now I'm going to start at min load. Is this safe or should I get federal, I've only got remington brass. I'm also useing cci 300 primers. Oh and the closes the book has is a 225 gr. LRN. Thanks.
Old July 15, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

I have used several brands of brass for .45 and the biggest difference has been how long they last. I found Winchester brass has been holding up quite well and the same for RWS brass. I don't think you should worry too much about using a different brass so so long as the primers seat properly and you inspect you brass prior to loading. Clean brass is much easier to inspect than dirty brass.

You might find some rifle brass will make a difference but pistol brass for the most part doesn't.

You only mentioned using one source for your load information. I like to have at least two references before I start a new load. Here is a link to the power manufactures website to check their information as well:
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I also find using the minimum load tends to either bearly cycle my pistols or not cycle them at all. Make no more than 10 rounds for any given load you are working up. It helps to reduce the number of rounds you will have to take apart later on. When you find the load you think is great, don't load more than 50 to check them some more. You still might want to make another change after that.

With W231 powder I have found it burns cleaner when I added 0.1 to 0.2 grains of powder beyond where they started grouping well. That was still below the max. level in the books. I prefer WST for .45 but W231 does work pretty good too.
Old July 15, 2012, 10:30 AM   #3
BDS-THR

+1. I use 4.8 - 5.0 gr of W231/HP-38 with 230 gr lead RN loaded to around 1.250" OAL. I would not worry about headstamp on brass or primer type. I have used mixed brass with various brand primers with the 5.0 gr load and they all shot well.

Hodgdon load data:
Quote:
230 gr LRN W231 OAL 1.200" Start 4.3 gr (699 fps) 12,200 CUP - Max 5.3 gr (834 fps) 16,900 CUP
Old July 15, 2012, 10:44 AM   #4
ruger357w

Ok guys. thanks the the help, and the link.
Old July 15, 2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Hawg

I've used up to 5.5 grains of W231 with Winchester and Starline brass and home cast 230 grain SWC's but finally settled on 5.0
Old July 15, 2012, 11:53 AM   #6
k4swb

Quote:
I'm wanting to try Win 231 but my lyman book (49th edition) has two ** witch says to use federal brass.
I'm fairly sure that just means that THEY used Federal brass, not that YOU must.

All the loading recipes are just what they used in their test guns, not that you must use the exact same formula. You have quite a lot of room for substituting components and weights.

The main reason to start low and work up is that you most likely will not have the exact components, especially the gun that the book testers did.

Also:
Quote:
With W231 powder I have found it burns cleaner when I added 0.1 to 0.2 grains of powder beyond where they started grouping well. That was still below the max. level in the books. I prefer WST for .45 but W231 does work pretty good too.
I concur 100%. I usually have unburned powder with W231 until I get up to a certain point, and then it starts burning all of it.

And I also prefer WST (and WSL before it was discontinued) in handgun loads. I have a load with WST for my .44 magnum that is really clean and is mild and accurate.