The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 31, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
BConklin

Ruger Mark II bull barrel holster - my way

I'm new to holster making and carrying sidearms in holsters - this is my second attempt at holster making and I'd appreciate feedback from those with more experience as to whether they think this design would be practical in the field.

This one gave me lots of challenges - with both the designing and the execution.
I wanted a mag sheath that could piggyback on the holster - OR ride on my belt. Once I figured out a design I liked on paper I set about making it up.

Got the main seam stitched on the holster and the gun barely fit. Pulled all the hand stitches and put a thick strip of leather between the two sides at the seam as a filler - then the gun didn't fit at all because the filler was too wide. So I pulled the stitches again, trimmed the filler and stitched it up again....then I didn't like the safety strap. I'd used a thinner leather and the color didn't match nicely so I pulled the stitches again, made new straps and stitched it up again. The I cut the friggin hole for the brass Sam Browne post wrong - putting the little slot below the hole instead of above...No way was I gonna sew that main seam again so I just made the hole oblong and went with it.

The front sight would have presented a problem if it hadn't been rounded over. Otherwise, that reverse chisel effect on the stock front sight would probably slice this holster in half pretty quickly.

After all was said and done this is what I came up with - custom fitted, hand stitched and calf skin lined..

Last edited by BConklin; January 31, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old January 31, 2011, 09:56 AM   #2
BConklin

and...

By the way - this one below is my first holster..and my first attempt at leatherworking - made for my Ruger Old Army.

Last edited by BConklin; January 31, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old January 31, 2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Pahoo

Excellent work and nice way you finished your edges. I can usually tell the difference between machine stitching and hand stitching. Your looks to be all hand stitched, correct me if I am wrong. I also like the way you double-stitched weak areas. Some Leather Workers who have been at this for a time, don't do this good of work. My compliments. .....

BE Safe !!!
Old January 31, 2011, 12:05 PM   #4
38superhero

nice
Old January 31, 2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Delaware_Dan

That is superb work.

-Bruce Lee
Old January 31, 2011, 04:41 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

agree... awesome rigs... a budding hobby holster maker myself, & yours look very nice...
Old January 31, 2011, 06:57 PM   #7
BConklin

Thanks folks

Pahoo - yes, the holsters are hand sewn using a saddle stitch ...one thread and two needles.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:53 AM   #8
fm2

Very good looking rig!
Old February 8, 2011, 04:48 PM   #9
Cowboy_mo

That's a very nice looking rig..... You did an excellent job with the stitching and the fit looks great..
Old February 8, 2011, 05:40 PM   #10
hornetguy

EXCELLENT work.
I hope you took copious notes, so when you make MINE you won't have all the same problems..
I've made a couple of cheesy knife holsters, but have never attempted a handgun holster.
Those show great attention to detail and finish.

BUENO!
Old February 9, 2011, 12:55 PM   #11
scud

looks good to me.
Old February 9, 2011, 01:21 PM   #12
everragenepa

Wow very nice
Old February 17, 2011, 06:19 PM   #13
MOshooter65202

Those are some great looking holsters!! Excellent workmanship
Old March 15, 2011, 10:43 PM   #14
joehorner

Really nice looking work. I bought a holster for my Mark ll bull barrell. Keep in mind that the front sight has a sharp pointed edge pointing towards the rear. That sight snagged the leather inside and plowed into it. By the time I got the pistol out it left a very deep gash inside. Just a "heads up". I hate to see that happen to your fine work. I ended up filing the point down in the back as you have, then cold blued the sight again........................Joe