The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 2, 2000, 08:55 PM   #1
t2

I was wondering if anybody has any recent experience with this company now that Wilson combat owns them. Any info anybody has would be greatly appreciated. I have an old 870 and I'm trying to decide were to get it "tricked out" for home defense and deer camp shotgun. I hunt in MI's UP.
Old February 3, 2000, 10:27 AM   #2
Ned Roundtree

Can't help. I have one of their catalogs and I just dream of the perfect HD shotgun. Maybe next year I can get one.
Old February 4, 2000, 01:22 AM   #3
Robe

I have bought parts to convert my own 870 myself. The Scattergun brand parts are good quality no nonsense replacement parts at a good price. I definitely reccomend them. Wilson has a good program right now. They will completely rebuild your old 870(even including some Scattergun parts) for I believe $169.00. You can also buy Scattergun parts from Brownells as well. It might be good to compare price.
Old February 4, 2000, 11:08 AM   #4
Sea Bass

My brother sent his 870 hd in to Scattergun
a few years back to have the trak-lock sight system installed. The service was quick and
worksmanship excellent. I haven't dealt w/
Scattergun lately but their under Wilson Combat's leadership now.
Old February 4, 2000, 01:32 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

T2, I'm sure that ST does fine work, but most of the tweaks and tricks can be owner done or by your local smith...

I'm what Tim Allen would call "Tool Challenged",but I've done plenty of mods and parts swaps on my own 870s and Dept weapons.
Exceptions are trigger work, lengthening the forcing cone, changing a bbl to one that handles tube chokes and installing peep sights. But simple part replacement isn't terribly difficult.

That would include things like adding a mag extension, changing the pitch/drop/length of a stock,swapping stocks/forearms, adding a Sidesaddle,grinding out those #$%^&* dimples in the newer 870s, getting a steel mag follower,etc.

By doing so, you first off learn your weapon better,and,second, save enough cash to buy way more ammo and hit the range more often, which is what most of us need way more than the latest bells and whistles from the custom folks.