The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 27, 2014, 03:36 PM   #1
.50cal packer

Just how common on a 91/30

Well, my '36 Tula is coming along nicely. I got everything cleaned and I like to paint everywhere they stamped it, along the way. After cleaning the paint off, I noticed there wasn't a hammer and sickle Crest stamp on it anywhere. So, I checked all my other mosins and realized that this one, was the only one that didn't have have it. I'm not for sure that this means anything. But does it? Without it, the arsenal mark is the only identifying stamp on it. Also, The arrow inside my star only has one side of feathers. I thought this, to be a bad strike, but the star is perfect as is the arrow itself... just would like some info, if this is some oddity or just a missed Quality check. thanks.
IT SEEMS TO ME, LIKE ALL THESE NEW GUYS THINK...
Old March 27, 2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Microgunner

We bought one just like that at the shop last week. So yours isn't the only one. Ours was a recent import from CAI.
Old March 27, 2014, 04:16 PM   #3
DennisCA

Ivan was drinking extra on those days!
Old March 27, 2014, 04:26 PM   #4
.50cal packer

This was imported by PW Arms. I have no doubts that Ivan drank a little more that day. I didn't think I was alone in this, glad someone who has one posted too. So good to know, that it was just a mistake and who knows how many are out there. Thanks for all the help guys.
IT SEEMS TO ME, LIKE ALL THESE NEW GUYS THINK...
Old March 27, 2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Mueller

Not a mistake, I have seen/owned many Soviet era MN's in the various forms without the Hammer and Sickle crest.

Izhevsk used the hammer /sickle in an open wreath on the barrel shank (date dependent) as well as other, Tula used an Arrow within a star in addition to other marks and these are just two arsenals.

The receivers have their own markings on the bottom, that can indicate when it was built and usually by who, but not always.

The arsenal is identified by name or number, rebuilds are identified by several marks dependent on where the work was done, it's not unusual to see Czarist/Soviet manufactured MN's bearing a Ukraine rebuild mark.

There are a couple collector sites with a lot more details on the web and by applying a little Google Fu they are easy to find.
Old March 28, 2014, 09:24 AM   #6
nate_g_2003

I'm almost positive my '39 Tula doesn't have a Hammer/Sickle anywhere on it.
Old March 28, 2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Mueller

I should also point out that a lot of receivers, both Czarist/Transition/Communist were recycled from damaged/worn out rifles and so it would not be out of the realms of possibility to encounter 1899/1913/1915/1928 etc dated receiver with a wartime or post war barrel.

Tula's for the most part in my experience lack the Hammer/Sickle mark, but YMMV can and does apply, since there are many variations within the production of the MN's, which makes collecting an interesting endeavour.

Then you have the decommisioned sniper rifles, they usually had nothing wrong with them, just not needed, so they were taken apart during rebuild/evaluation and the holes filled in and the rifle put back into stores (PE,PEM,PU).

It can be addicting and real oddities can pop up.

I have a 1899 dated MN 91 with hex receiver, that was captured by the Germans in ww1, reproofed and issued to the police of the Weimer Republic (stamps on stock) and then sent to Finnish Forces as military aid and was proofed and stamped by the Finnish and chambered to accept the D166 ball, so this rifle got around.