The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Nathan

BPI Manuals: Shotshell Reloading

Has anyone bought the BPI manuals?

I have the Lyman and it really has enough for me except it is pretty limited regarding buckshot. I would like to load some 00 buck for my STS and/or AA 3" hulls sometime.

Does the Coyote Maual have lots more good American hull loads, or are their loads heavily geared towards the Rio, Fiocchi, Cheddite hulls only?

I think there is a load in the Lyman, but I'm looking to add recipes for those hulls...
Old March 29, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2
rg1

BPI's Buckshot Loading III manual for buckshot has 5 loads for Federal GM hulls, 2 for Rem SP type hulls, one load with Rem STS, 16 loads using Win AA hulls, and all the rest use their Multi-Hull, Fiocchi, or Cheddite. All the above are 2 3/4" hulls.They tested various primers, Ch209, Win 209, Fio 616, M209, CCI 209 and 209M. Almost all gas seals, wads, fillers or wraps are BPI products. You use their buckshot manual and use their internal components bought from them and possibly you'd want to buy their hulls. The majority of their 2 3/4" buckshot loads use their MultiHull.
16 ga loads use mostly Cheddite and Fiocchi with about 6 Win AA loads. 20 ga. uses mostly Fiocchi and Cheddite with a couple Rem hulls -RXP and Rem Unibody, and approx 8 Win AA loads.
12 ga. 3" hulls are mostly Fiocchi and MultiHulls with 5 Fed hulls, 3 Rem hulls and 2 Win AA hulls.
All this information is just to show what to expect from the BPI shotshell manual. It's an excellent manual with how to's, patterning, and shooting buckshot BUT expect to buy your components from BPI. Not a bad thing as they are a good reliable company.
I also have their slug manual 3rd edition and they use Federal, Cheddite, Rio, MultiHull, and Fiocchi hulls only. All straight sided hulls I think and they use all BPI wads, and internal components. They have several slugs and they have all the tools you'd need to load buckshot with detailed info.

Last edited by rg1; March 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Nathan

Thanks. That is what I needed to know. I like BPI's stuff, but I was afraid that given my STS hulls and AA 3" CF hulls, that I might be wasting my time. They also seem to really buy in to roll crimping. I'm already slow enough. . .I cannot add roll crimping to my process!