The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 16, 2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Pops1085

Red dot sight question

I picked up an el-cheapo red dot sight just to give it a try and was wondering, if I know that my sights are dead on at 50 yards could I just put the gun in a vice and look down the sights and adjust the sight until it is right on the tip of the front sight post? Of course I would have to test it to be 100% sure but at the moment with the ammo situation I'm a little hesitant to burn through any and am looking for an easy way to sight this in.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Pops1085

I should add that it is with an Ar/M4 rifle and the front sight is fixed but the red dot sits just a hair above and to the left with it on the upper. Also could I try mounting it on the quad rail if it is not FF? I've seen some fellas running their Ar's on the tv like that.
Old February 17, 2013, 03:32 PM   #3
g.willikers

Hard to believe that noone has suggested just removing a few parts and looking through the barrel.
Sight the red dot like for a bolt action.

Last edited by g.willikers; February 18, 2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 03:38 PM   #4
FtrPilot

If you have access to a lead sled, you can sight in your ar on the 50 yard target using the iron sights. Then, without moving the ar, set the red dot on the same 50 yard target. In order to set the red dot to the sights, the red dot would have to be aligned so you can look through both sights and the red dot simultaneously.