The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

What Difficult To Find Firearms Related Item, Other Than Ammo, Did You Find Today?

There's a thread asking "What Ammo Did You Find Today?", so, I thought maybe folks would like to share what difficult firearms related items they found today. It could be handguns, long guns, reloading supplies, gun parts, magazines, etc.

And, I will start. I was out again today and it seems like things around here are not letting up at all. Very few guns to be had and of course ammo is as scarce as ever. However, I walked into a shop today and looked at the bare wall where AR15s used to hang and there were a few Rock River lower parts kits. It's the single stage trigger version and it was $75.99. That didn't seem too bad so I picked one up. First AR parts kits I've seen since the panic began.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
RacingRedGT

Bushmaster XM15 M4A3 Carbine Patrolman for $949 @ Bass Pro. Super good deal. Wife was ****** when I called and said I was buying it. Bought her and my oldest daughter round trip tickets to California to visit her brother to make amends. This was an expensive day.

I was at the range, finished up, went to look at ammo and BAM. Sitting there looking super sexy were two Bushmasters.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:35 AM   #3
SHE3PDOG

I drove a few miles to a gun shop that is a little further away than I like, but I was shocked at their stock. The owner must have all the right connections because I counted at least a dozen AR types in the main display. Even more amazing, they had 2 SCAR, one of each caliber, hiding away behind the counter. They were all being sold for their normal prices as well. They had a pretty solid supply of ammo and handguns as well. I didn't have the money to get anything aside from what I came in there for (Sig P229), or I would have. Needless to say, I think driving a few extra miles to get there will be the norm for me when I'm browsing around to get a new gun next time. If anyone lives in the Bay Area in California, its called Bay Area Gun Vault.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 10, 2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

Quote:
I drove a few miles to a gun shop that is a little further away than I like, but I was shocked at their stock. The owner must have all the right connections because I counted at least a dozen AR types in the main display. Even more amazing, they had 2 SCAR, one of each caliber, hiding away behind the counter. They were all being sold for their normal prices as well. They had a pretty solid supply of ammo and handguns as well.
Are you sure you didn't get into your "Wayback Machine" by accident instead of your car?

Hey RacingRedGT, what Bass Pro had those?
Old February 10, 2013, 07:54 PM   #5
David13

I rode (motorcycle) 65 miles to Rancho Cucamonga and the huge Bass Pro Outdoors World store.
What a place. Huge fish tanks, one in the bar in the fish restaurant, and one at the entrance to the fishing section.
A real good supply of everything, except ammo. Which basically they had none of.
Rifles by the dozens upon dozens. But it was so crowded you could barely find a place to park, and no one to show me any rifles.
I found lead balls, .451, 200 and no CCI caps, no. 10. But about 6 boxes of #11. However, I did get 300 Remington #10 caps, but about double the price of the CCI.
I had the fish and chips in the restaurant. Not bad.
dc
Old February 11, 2013, 10:18 AM   #6
dajowi

Went to a gun show this weekend. The place was packed. Within four hours of the doors opening there were over 15,000 paid admissions to the show.

Lots of big, black, naughty "assault weapons," and plenty of handguns.

Ammo wasn't so much in short supply, (although some calibers were), but over priced. Bricks of .22 previously selling for $13-$17 now commanded prices of $30-$50. There was plenty of bulk ammo but I didn't see any 9mm.

Reloading components were equally over priced. I had been looking for small pistol primers for a couple of weeks. Even looked on-line. Found a couple of vendors selling cases of Winchester and CCI small pistol primers at the show and decided to "bite the bullet" and plunk down the $55 per 1000 case.

The last time there was shortage I vowed to stock up. This second lesson in supply and demand economics is going to be remembered.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Ben Towe

One of the gun stores down in Hendersonville had a pile of Glock 22 and 33 round mags yesterday when I was there, $65 each. I didn't buy any because I don't have a Glock anymore, but they had them. A friend of mine left with a nice FNS-40 though.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:25 PM   #8
ScottRiqui

Bought a Browning Hi-Power today, and worked out a trade to get rid of some powder I don't need in exchange for some that I do.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:29 PM   #9
SPEMack618

I was wandering around the sporting goods department at wal-mart hoping to get Valentines Day inspiration(I thought of a christmas present at Bass Pro, so it works) and low and behold, there on the gun rack, among the Ruger Americans and Remington 770s, was a Bushmaster AR-15, specifically a n XM-15A2 Patrolman's Carbine, 30-rd mag and all.

Best part, was while the rifle was for sale, and at the same pre-panic $847 price normally seen, was that there wasn't a box of .223 to be had.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Gunnut17

*Sigh* When AR's are hard to find...
Old February 13, 2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Gaerek

I found some 5.56mm. Unfortunately, it's limited to 3 per person per caliber, and it's about 50% more than it should be...but I'm low and needed more.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Skans

AR-15 parts are out there more and more. Receiver sets, lower parts, bolts and bolt carriers. While I did (panic) and pay a premium for an AR receiver set, I'm taking my sweet time with the rest. There's going to be a ton of cheap stuff out there in short order.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Unspoken

A gas adjustment tool for the SVT 40 is on the way.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:10 PM   #14
Dr Big Bird PhD

10 round ASC mags
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 13, 2013, 03:17 PM   #15
lcpiper

Been hunting for a Ruger Shopkeeper. It is a custom .22lr Bearcat distributed solely through Lipseys. They only had a specific number made and although they do show up here and there they can be tricky to track down.

I just did a search on GunBroker and found a new listing with a Buy Now price at $530, no shipping no CC fees. I was all on that one, and I'll be a happy dude if it all goes through proper.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:22 PM   #16
huntinaz

Large and small pistol primers were available at Graf's yesterday. I'm not really hurting for it anyway, but since who knows how long this will last... I bought some. I somehow missed that Power Pistol powder was in stock, been wanting to try it. I ordered some American Select to try though instead.