The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 30, 2008, 08:04 PM   #1
thetoecutter

eotech pics attn: avid concealer

Sorry for the quality of the photos, am NOT a photographer.

Awhile back AC was asking questions about how a Eotech sight was "different". I had the same questions, and was able to get ahold of one at a Cabela's store and answered some of them.

I ended up taking the plunge and buying one.

These pics are of a 557 mounted on a Bushmaster flattop carbine. Hopefully they illustrate how the 557 being approximately 1/4" "taller" makes it line up with the iron sights in the bottom third of the sight "window".

Also, it shows how eye alignment with the Eotech is NOT critical to the appearance of the reticle.

The Eotech sight is mounted immediately forward of an LMT rear sight (which is essentially the back half of a removeable carry handle).

The pictures do NOT do justice to the illuminated reticle, it is much more visible to the eye than to the camera.

Old January 30, 2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Jermtheory

can you see the dot with your off eye?

for example,if you're shooting right handed and close your right eye,can you still see/shoot using the illuminated ret with your left eye???

It's been fun(in part).
Old January 31, 2008, 03:21 AM   #3
Martyn4802

EOTech sights are parallax free from 22 yards to infinity.

Martyn
Old February 1, 2008, 03:09 AM   #4
Jermtheory

yeah,but can you get a good enough angle to sight with your off eye(only)?

maybe if mounted far enough forward?

It's been fun(in part).
Old February 1, 2008, 10:51 AM   #5
m24shooter

In that case, only if the left eye could see down the "tunnel" of the sight. The easiest thing to do in that case (and I'm not sure why you would want to do this anyway) would be to switch shoulders.
Old February 1, 2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Jermtheory

thats what i figured.

cross dominant and just looking at various options.

it could also come in handy in a pinch,if blinded in your strong eye.

the Aimpoint works the same way as well no?

where the dot "follows" your eye/view?

It's been fun(in part).
Old February 1, 2008, 12:50 PM   #7
m24shooter

If you're cross dominant the Eothingy would probably work better for you. The "tunnel" is shorter and you would be able to see it more easily, although you should probably train your eye or switch shoulders. My brother is cross dominant, I'll ask him how he does it.
The Aimpoint works the same way, but due to the longer tube the FOV is a little more restrictive and you are held to a narrower engagement envelope.
Old February 1, 2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

M24 shooter- and how do you figure that?
With both the Aimpoints and EOTechs you are using binocular vision. Therefore while the dominant eye is looking at the the reticle, the nondominant eye is looking outside of the lens.

"held to a narrower engagement envelope."

Really. Can you back that up with facts?

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Old February 1, 2008, 01:56 PM   #9
Jermtheory

i have no experience with either,but my thinking was...

possibly mounting an EOTech very far forward,in the hopes that both eyes looking through the optic would negate any cross dominance issue's.

or mounting an Aimpoint more to the rear,where my weaker eye would be isolated and the only one being drawn to the red dot.

i thought the Aimpoint route would be more liekly to work for me and thats where im leaning atm.

the left eye dominance isnt too severe,and i think the red dot would be enough to keep my brain from defaulting back to the left eye.

It's been fun(in part).
Old February 1, 2008, 02:38 PM   #10
m24shooter

Pat:
Jermtheory was asking about being able to see the reticle with the off eye (and specifically with the right eye closed), and mentioned the Aimpoint. I don't see how he could see the dot with the off eye due to the tube of the Aimpoint, which is why I mentioned the wider FOV with the Eotech.
The tube on the Aimpoint is longer, meaning that the cone in which the reticle can be seen is narrower than the Eotech, at least from what I've seen. My optics are M68s, although I have shot the Eotechs a few times. The glass on the Eotech has the shorter "rollbar" hood that it sits in, and to me at least has a greater range of viewability and can be seen from points farther off to the sides than the Aimpoint.
When I said narrow envelope that is what I was referring to: the range from side to side behind the optic in which the reticle can be seen, not the technical capabilities of the scope. For me, I can move my head laterally behind the optic more and still see the reticle with the Eotech than Aimpoint.

Last edited by m24shooter; February 1, 2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old February 1, 2008, 05:20 PM   #11
Avid Concealer

Very nice! Thanks for the update buddy! You really went out of your way for this one. Much appreciated. I'll be getting one for sure now!

~aC